Graduate of BU’s online CFA Music Education Program Carol Shansky Publishes Music Appreciation Book

Dr. Carol Shansky

Carol Shansky, who was the BU College of Fine Arts’ first online Doctor of Musical Arts in Music Education recipient, recently reached another milestone in her impressive career with the publication of her book, “Musical Tapestries: A Thematic Approach to Music Appreciation.”

Published by Kendall Hunt, the book is available here, and in addition to a variety of musical experiences that have seen her perform all over the world, she says the work was also positively influenced and enhanced by the education she received through BU online — where she now works as a course facilitator.

“My Music Appreciation textbook, ‘Musical Tapestries: A Thematic Approach to Music Appreciation,’ was in the works before I started my doctorate online.  However, my experience as a student – and graduate – of the program was central not only to its completion but to developing it from a set of ideas and practices to a textbook that I am proud of and feel makes an important contribution to the teaching of music to non-majors,” Dr. Shansky says.

“Naturally, as part of doctoral training, one learns to write at a very high level and understand proper referencing of sources and how to gather knowledge.  But doing so in a distance education format exposed me to a variety of experiences and perspectives that are likely to never be as readily available as they are in this environment.  From recommendations of colleagues to a deepening of my understanding of my subject, distance learning afforded me the opportunity to mine ideas and concepts in a very rich way.  Professors and facilitators are teaching in varied circumstances and geographic locales which lent me a critical world view. My ‘textbook’ was transformed as I was transformed as a distance education student at Boston University.”

The College of Fine Arts Doctor and Master of Music Education degree programs launched online with the support of Metropolitan College’s Office of Distance Education in 2005.

Congratulations, Carol!

Nancy Coleman posted on July 25, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Congratulations Carol! What a wonderful achievement!