Why Procrastinate Now When You Can Procrastinate Later?

In the spirit of finals week, the OAs have decided to post about something very near and dear to our hearts: procrastination. Being tempted by Facebook, quick bathroom breaks and snacks is easy and avoiding these temptations is difficult, but very important. Here’s some advice to make sure you’re studying in the most effective way possible:

-       Have all of the materials you need to study (books, notebooks, highlighters, etc.) – don’t leave anything you might need behind

-       Make sure you eat a good meal before you begin studying, this way you will avoid having to get up for snacks

-       Get plenty of rest so you can stay concentrated

-       Keep a bottle of water and a couple of snacks with you so if you do get hungry, you don’t have to get up and distract yourself or break your concentration

-       Study in 50 minute blocks with 10 minute breaks – this will help keep you focused and refreshed

Having the right attitude when studying is important, too. Sometimes we go into studying thinking, “I don’t like this professor,” “I hate this class,” or “I’m not even learning anything useful,” which can turn into further procrastination and, in turn poor performance on exams. Even if we don’t enjoy a class or connect particularly well with our professors, we’re still being graded on our performance so we might as well perform as best as we can. Some other thoughts to avoid include:

-       “I can work on this later…”

-       “Nobody else around me is studying.”

-       “I don’t want to miss my favorite show…”

-       “My professor expects me to know too much information – there’s no way I’ll be ready.”

Our advice: be patient, focus as best as you can, and reward yourself with a short break once an hour. Make sure you’re working in an area conducive to good studying and remember; Hulu and Netflix will always be there after finals are over! And remember, when you’re finished studying, reward yourself! Go for a walk away from campus, have some froyo or watch your favorite show – you’ve earned it. Following these rules will get you into good study habits and help you do your best on exams.

Good luck this week!

Kaitlin & Mike

Charlie Brickner posted on November 2, 2011 at 7:35 PM

My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different page and thought I may as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to looking into your web page again.