Oo Law school?! That’s a lot of work!

Yes it is a lot of work and everyone seemed to find it necessary to remind me of that every day while I searched for schools. It was usually accompanied by a “you’re screwed and you don’t even know it yet” type of look complete with smirk, surprised eyebrows and subtle “no” head shake.

Back then, I figured those people were all liars, or at least just being little babies.

In reality, though, they were right. Law school is a lifestyle. And for some it’s easier to handle than others. Ultimately, everyone faces a period of feeling overwhelmed. I have had my fair share of meltdowns and I apologize now to my best friend, my boyfriend, my brother, my parents and my lawyer uncle for having to hear it all. Let me also just say, if you have a family member that is a lawyer, I suggest not wasting your time calling them with questions the first few weeks of school. They won’t know the answers. Example, search Wikipedia for “the Rule in Shelley’s Case.” It’s hilarious. It is also illustrative of the mass of historical, albeit, mostly outdated, theories of law that you will be learning in order to understand how we got where we are today. It is important. But your lawyer uncle will probably just say something like, “oh gee, I think that sounds familiar…”

Anyways, law school is a lifestyle, which makes picking the right school even more important.

I should note that I am a Massachusetts native. I had the benefit of loving and knowing Boston before deciding where to go for law school. I do think it’s essential to visit any city you are considering for school before making your final choice. You’re going to be spending the next three years and a lot of money on this decision. It’s best to be happy with what you pick. I hope that was helpful! Goodbye for now. It’s time to write an appellate brief. ~Adrienne