Fantasy Football Adventures

Sunday is the day when I usually try to get the bulk of my homework done for the weekend, but playing in a fantasy football league has made life much more difficult for me. I didn’t do it 1L year because I thought it would be a bad idea.  As it is, watching football on Sundays is something that already zaps my productivity. If you don’t know what fantasy football is, here’s a Wikipedia link for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_football_%28American%29

I was brave enough to try this year again and so far it’s working out okay as far as work goes.The only problem is that I have to keep checking football scores while I’m reading or doing other school stuff. My league has ten people and we’re all friends from college. When I played in the 2007 season, I won our league and destroyed the competition each week…it was probably because I had both Tom Brady and Randy Moss and that was the year they set all sorts of offensive scoring records.

But that was 2007…this year so far is going pretty much opposite. My record is a sad 2-4. The draft was terrible and it was all downhill from there. Things are slowly turning around though with some good players I’ve picked up. My starters for this week: Philip Rivers, Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, Hakeem Nicks, Matt Forte, Ricky Williams, Antonio Gates, Lawrence Tynes (Giants kicker), Pittsburgh defense.

This week I’m leading my opponent 113-96 but he still has David Akers (Eagles’ kicker) who plays tonight on Monday Night Football. Keep your fingers crossed that Akers doesn’t somehow kick a ton of field goals tonight. The Eagles play the Redskins, so anything is possible because the Redskins don’t like to score. One of the more bizarre things in life that I’ve noticed is how Redskins fans always talk about how great the Redskins are even though the Redskins are terrible. I can’t understand it. Maybe somebody can explain it to me.

Anyway, as far as school goes there’s big stuff coming up:

1.) The first draft of my journal note is due on Monday November 2nd and I will probably spend this entire week in hibernation trying to get it done. It’s about hybrid taxis and how when cities have tried to mandate that all their taxis be hybrid vehicles, federal judges have ruled that federal law preempts these mandates. It’s an interesting topic (at least I think so…perhaps you don’t). More about that once it’s done.

2.) The law school’s Halloween party is this Thursday. I’ve got an awesome costume. My mom was visiting this weekend and when I showed it to her she told me I was ridiculous. I’ll post a photo of it later. Last year I had a great costume: I dressed up as Trooper Ramathorn from the movie “Super Troopers.” I think this year’s will be better though. You be the judge.

3.) The South Asian Law Students Association’s (SALSA) Diwali/Eid Celebration is coming up in a couple of weeks and I’ll be busy helping to organize that. It’s the biggest event at the law school and involves free Indian food (that’s probably why it’s the biggest event at the law school).

4.) In November it’s time to start preparing to review for exams in . . . dislike.