Emotional engagement with law

I came to law school on purpose, recognizing that law organizes and reorganizes society, determining who are the winners and losers and perhaps whether there will be losers. For better or worse, my reception of what I learn in class defaults to a slow-to-trust critique of how legal norms favor powerful actors, with occasional internal applause for a promising flare of fairness. Recently, I’ve realized that I’m making extra work for myself because it would be more efficient to just accept the rules as they come and apply them with cold calculation to exams.

I’ve heard that performance in class doesn’t reflect performance on exams exactly because the student engaging in passionate policy debate is caught up in meta-analysis while other students are quietly internalizing end-of-the-day rules. (Be that as it may, I’m not good at being quiet.) There’s always a bigger picture, yet I came to law school to translate big picture concerns into concrete on-the-ground action. Getting lost in the big picture with good intentions and for good reasons could be called CLS syndrome, where a critique of power becomes the end point and the ideas have a hard time trickling down into new, fair ways of doing things.

10liptak.600If there’s one case that I can remember growing up with as a beacon of fairness, it has to be Brown v. Board of Education, and at last it came up in Constitutional Law. The written opinion falls short of the myth, with Professor Baxter noting that a unanimous decision from all nine Justices was likely secured by generalized language that staved off dissents. The language was indirect enough to usher in a decade of relative silence from the Supreme Court while some lower courts chose to construe the opinion as narrowly as possible to except their local segregation programs as part of a larger political resistance—captured in, for example, the Southern Manifesto.

Here come the big picture concerns: it feels short-sighted not to jump from integrating schools to larger questions of race, and from questions of race to larger questions of self-determination reserved for powerful actors. We’re back in CLS territory, and how can we not be? To what extent must valid raw emotions be intellectualized for presentation to avoid being overlooked?

Emotional engagement with law is hard to place because law aspires to be above emotional bias, yet even that aspiration may point to an unanticipated bias once the legal conversation seeks to include those who have at times been smothered by it. Blacks have been told what their associations will be—now we’ll segregate you, now we’ll integrate you, at our pace—while subject to pressure for solutions as an unindividuated mass, in a society where individuality is generally treasured. After I suppress an angry outburst and look away from my casebook for a few minutes to let the sadness register, I convince myself to turn back to the material and stomach it. But I cannot learn neutrally, above emotions. Strangely, I wouldn’t want to if I could because I would lose the part of me that is sensitive to authorized indignity.

Law is becoming more fair, slowly and in bursts, but I don’t think I’m alone among students in my gut responses to what law has looked like. Thankfully, I can point to comments from each professor I’ve had which demonstrate experienced sensitivity to these issues. I’m proud, too, to be at a law school increasingly recognized for encouraging public service as a central component of career preparation, sharing the ethic that a lawyer’s institutional access can be leveraged on behalf of those who don’t have the same.

B Greene posted on March 8, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Well Written,

I definitely agree with the sentiment. I often ask myself the same thing in the work I do, about whether I should divorce myself from the emotion of it all, but then I have to remember that the work I am doing affects people on an emotional level, and the work I hope to engage in post law school with also affect people both practically and emotionally.

I think if you take away the emotion of the work, the results will suffer. Often times explanations that appeal to emotion have shed light on the misplaced logic that has been used to hold various people of color back. The civil rights and abolitionists movements were both highly emotionally while also being fought through legal means.

Christopher Greco posted on March 9, 2010 at 8:57 am

Emotions can be the bane of my existence for some of the reasons you state. Many of my colleagues function at an objective and heady distance from what I find to be the disturbing facts at hand. When I react emotionally, I can come off as scary to others and trigger mistrust. I haven’t at all lost my head in my passion, but others can assume I have. For me, my intellect causes me to perceive the injustices all the more and to feel more passionately about them.

The parallel I’ve always drawn is if I don’t temper my emotional responses that I’ll come off as Nixon, who looked sweaty and neurotic, in his famous debate with JFK. (Or Albert Brooks versus William Hurt in “Broadcast News”, if that’s a more accessible cultural benchmark.)

I’ve pondered to what extent does the overemotional response of the one-down man mark the majority-minority relationship – i.e., the one who responds emotionally ends up in the minority, or put another way, the culture that’s more feeling-based will be marginalized as the weaker culture. Too much to prove in brief but I’ve thought about it.

One of my takeaways is to learn to do exactly what you describe here – have my little outburst in private, own the sadness and anger, reengage by reading some more, and then imagining a way, by God’s grace, to turn my emotion into shrewd and cool action. I’ve got to do my homework so that I’m not simply plotting an immature emotional revenge, but rather innovating a means to confront the headier majority on terms it can understand.

Not sure how well I do, but I try.

stan fisher posted on March 11, 2010 at 8:42 pm

I hope you never lose the connection between your professional life and your passion. If you do, it will probably be a signal that you need to look for another job. Most of spend most of our waking lives (and sometimes part of our dream life) at some job. It would be a great shame of we came not to care …

Paul C posted on March 15, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I’ve wondered if it isn’t the detachment from the heart that leads us as a people/society into evil times. I think of Albert Speer, the architect of the Final Solution during WW2, who was described as an extremely efficient bureaucrat. And more recently of the recent Wall Street debacle. Or my own past experience at a large corporation. It seemed a small step to choose my career over things like relationships that I’ve now come to cherish.

I can understand your life experience (and other commenters here) may say that the emotional man is less efficient (or even less than), but honestly I sense that’s where are power as human’s lie.

CS Lewis “You can hardly open a periodical without coming across the statement that what our civilization needs is more ‘drive’, or dynamism, or self-sacrifice, or ‘creativity’ [perhaps justice too? – pc]. In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful. “