Viva Las Vegas

As law student, spring break is a welcome reprieve from the dreariness of mid-winter Boston and of classes. Some people choose to stay in Boston, but a lot of people choose to leave for home or some place warm. Last year I went to Southern California (San Diego, Los Angeles and Santa Barbara) to visit friends and to escape the cold. This year was a repeat of last year with the addition of a side trip to Las Vegas for a night.

Like most trips to Las Vegas this one was definitely a spontaneous adventure. After arriving in San Diego on Saturday night, going out and only going to sleep at 4AM, we (me, my girlfriend and our two college friends) decided the next morning that a trip to Vegas was in order. After all, it was only 5 hours away and I’d never been. And the weather in San Diego was horrible…54 degrees and raining. If I wanted that I would’ve stayed in Boston.

The Luxor

The Luxor: it's like Egypt only there's a casino inside.

After about 6 hours of straight driving through inland California and the Mojave desert at night we finally arrived our destination: The Luxor. For those of you who have never been to Las Vegas, The Luxor is a casino/hotel shaped like a giant glass pyramid with a giant sphinx outside (see the photo to the left). You’re not allowed to take pictures inside, so you’ll have to be content with these photos of the outside. Suffice it to say, the inside had an Egyptian theme along with a huge casino.

Unfortunately, I can’t really tell you about all the things that happened because what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas (get over the fact that it’s a cliche). It wasn’t as incredible and ridiculous as “The Hangover” but we had a blast. I can tell you that The Tropicana (a casino) does owe me a free dinner/sandwich at their restaurant.

The Strip

The Strip

We drove back to San Diego around 2pm and spent a lot of time looking out at the nothingness of the desert because when we drove to Las Vegas it was completely dark.

Interstate 15 Southbound: Pictureusque but Empty

Interstate 15 Southbound: Mountains, Cactus and Sand

The mountains and desert were quite beautiful but it was really interesting to see how there really wasn’t anything else around except for the world’s largest thermometer, which is located in Baker, California near the California/Nevada border.