Jumping In

Starting 1L year is like jumping in the deep end of a pool. There’s no easing in slowly, no time to get acclimated; you’re submerged almost as soon as you enter the classroom. Inevitably, you spend a few days flailing around. Soon, you learn to tread water. Eventually, you’re back on your feet.

My name is Cassie LaRussa, and I decided to write for the BU Law blog for two reasons.

1. Because choosing a law school was a really tough decision for me
  2. Because I am confident that BU Law was the right decision for me

Having just gone through the law school application and decision process, I hope to make it slightly less distressing for the next set of prospective law students. My goal is to give you a comprehensive picture of what my life is like as a 1L here in Boston, and address any specific questions that you might have.

A little bit about me: I grew up in New Paltz, New York and moved to Washington, D.C. in 2008 to study political science at The George Washington University. While enrolled at GWU, I spent a year studying government at the London School of Economics in London, England.  I also spent two summers interning in the Consumer Frauds Bureau at the New York State Attorney General’s Office and I have blogged for two Washington, D.C. organizations that focus on government accountability and transparency: The Center for Responsive Politics and the Sunlight Foundation.

A mere eleven weeks ago, I had never stepped foot in a law school classroom. I remember what it was like to not know what to expect. To be honest, I don’t think it’s possible to be truly prepared for law school. You just have to take the plunge.

And, however shocking and overwhelming the plunge may be, it’s also exhilarating.