Studying Law in Boston

As my third month as a law student approaches, I can now say with substantial certainty that this is where I am meant to be.  Yet, I can’t point to just one thing that confirmed this for me.  What has really made me sure that coming to BU Law was the right decision has been all of the wonderful experiences that I’ve had while being here.  Considering the things I’ve learned at the law school, the people I’ve met, along with everything I have seen and done throughout the city of Boston, there is no doubt that I made the right choice.

It was a big move for me.  I came here from Florida, where I spent my entire life.  Moving from Saint Augustine, the nation’s oldest city, made it easier for me to appreciate the richness of Boston’s history. I felt ready as I arrived and went on the many tours in the area to explore my new surroundings.  What I was not prepared for was the change in culture.

Growing up in the South definitely left its mark on me.  I frequently use the term “y’all,” I love barbecue, and I always extend my southern hospitality to the people I meet.  Being from the Sunshine State, I can’t get enough of being outside and soaking up the sun.  The North is very different, but in the best way possible.

I think the main difference is the speed.  Things move much faster up here, with people walking briskly across the street to catch the bus or the subway that comes and goes pretty quickly.  As an easy-going Floridian, I’ve had to adjust my pace accordingly to keep up with all of the movement. Though, I do enjoy seeing the great deal of runners and cyclists as I travel around the city.  It serves as a constant reminder for me to stay active!

The transportation system makes it easy to move fast.  Whether I’m trying to keep my heart rate up, escape the cold, or simply get where I need to go, there is always a set of rails or wheels nearby to get me on my way.  Coming from a suburban lifestyle into an urban environment like Boston has made me realize just how convenient having everything close and connected can be.

New England’s diverse population was also a big change.  Simply taking a walk down Commonwealth Avenue and listening to the conversations taking place around me allows me to hear several new accents and languages every day. It has been truly amazing to live in such a rich and vibrant place, as each person that I have met has been able to share their unique story with me.  The insight I’ve gained from hearing about the experiences of others has proven invaluable.

The people here are welcoming and open-minded.  They’re more than willing to strike up a conversation or lend a helping hand when it’s needed.  Those who live in Massachusetts (also known as Bay Staters) are used to the cold, but they’ve got plenty of warmth in their hearts to go around.  I’ve found that they along with the city of Boston will accept anyone who wants to be part of this community.

I believe the same could be said for all of my fellow law students.  As a 1L I see those in my section every day.  Sometimes it can seem as if we occupy our own separate microcosm from the rest of the law school, but it is the repeated interactions and common concerns we all have that allow us to connect with one another.  I count that as a positive thing.

This post is meant to serve as an introduction; a way to let readers know more about who I am, where I came from, and how I feel about all that I’ve experienced so far.  However, the most important things those who read these posts can take from them going forward are the lessons I have learned.  I hope to be able to share more about not only why BU Law is a great place to be, but what it is that makes this place so special.  That way, when the time comes, each reader will be armed with the knowledge they need to make a more informed choice.

For anyone that does decide to come to Boston, I have a few pieces of advice.  Be open to change.  Become involved with something that has personal meaning.  Take the time to listen to others.  Boston is filled with opportunities, and doing these things has allowed me to make the most of them.  Life in law school is challenging, but each day brings with it a new adventure.  If nothing else, make the decision to embrace that.