Leaving the Library

Unfortunately, I’m getting started on the BU Law blog just as final exams are shifting from a distant worry to a source of daily angst. Since this is my first time going through the law school exam process, all I can offer right now is fearful speculation. As that is far from productive, I’m not going to say too much about exams until I actually get through them. I’ll report back in January, and in the mean time check out some 2L or 3L blogs if you’re interested!

For now, I’m going to focus on what I’m doing when I’m not in the library. And while I have cut down on some activities as I prioritize studying, I have made a concerted effort to continue attending the variety of speaking events that take place at the law tower each week.

First, speaking events are opportunities to learn about niche legal topics. Whether it’s a professor discussing water law on U.S. Indian Reservations or a panel debating legal ramifications of the Supreme Court’s Affordable Care Act decision, these events address unique facets of the law that are unlikely to come up in a typical career presentation. I tend to find myself contemplating a career in a different legal field each time I leave a speaking event!

Second, these events are built-in opportunities to meet real, live lawyers.

It is easy to get bogged down in civil procedure, get lost in tort liability, and lose track of why you even came to law school in the first place. Speaking to professionals about their careers puts the academic work in perspective, and has been crucial for me throughout my first semester.

Back in October I attended a panel discussion about litigation organized by the BU Law Career Development Office and the Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys. One panelist, a recent BU Law graduate, agreed to meet with me at her office downtown to answer my questions about plaintiff-side firms.

Making these connections is not only comforting (they, too, struggled through the Erie Doctrine, and look where they are now!) but also energizing.

It’s much easier to head back to the library after a reminder about the light at the end of the tunnel.