Thanksgiving Break

Over the past few days, many BU Law students made the trip back to their hometowns to celebrate Thanksgiving with friends and family. For myself and many other 1Ls, Thanksgiving break was the first time back home since leaving for Boston in late August. For me at least, getting away from law school was just the thing I needed before diving head first into finals preparation.

The weeks leading up to finals are an extremely stressful time, and as a 1L, it can sometimes be difficult to stay positive when the only thoughts consuming your mind are about the hours worth of reading, outlining, and studying that have become and will continue to be your life until late December. But as I sat around the dinner table with my family, being home for Thanksgiving put everything back into perspective.

My cousin Danielle came up with an idea to create a Thanksgiving time capsule. She instructed each member of my family to supply an object for the capsule that represented something we were thankful for in the past year, and despite my frustrations with law school, the first object that came to my mind was my mini Federal Rules of Civil Procedure book. For those of you who don’t know what that is, if you do go to law school you’ll become best friends with the FRCP soon enough—the point is, my first thought was law school related.

In deciding to put the book in the time capsule, the activity also helped me reassess the frustrations I was having with law school. Although the workload is sometimes overwhelming, I wouldn’t change my decision to attend BU Law. It has taught me the value of working hard to achieve my goals. Each day I strive to do the best I can, and the activity helped me remember that I should be proud of myself just for getting into and (almost) finishing a full semester of law school, rather than always looking at the hurdles that lie ahead.

As I placed my book in the time capsule, my family continued to tell me how proud they are of me, and their continued support helped me to remember that I have so many people to go to for words of encouragement. While no one in my family has ever attended law school, they realize how difficult it can be, and their continued reassurance that my hard work will pay off was just what I needed to hear before leaving home again.

I now come back to Boston with a cleared mind. I am ready to tackle finals, recognizing that whatever the outcome, I will have put my best efforts forward, and knowing that the strong support system I have in my family is always there to help. And though I wish I could have stayed home in Connecticut for at least a few days longer (and eaten more of my family’s great cooking!), this break was just what I needed to regroup and refocus before finals.

And below is a picture of my family and I over break!

Brian posted on November 26, 2012 at 3:18 pm

What a fantastic entry! I really enjoyed hearing your positive energy, your commitment to excellence, and your relaxing time with family.

Keep up the hard work!