New Year Reflections

Two weeks ago today, a few hours after my last exam ended, I was sitting on a Greyhound bus headed back to New York for a friend’s wedding. As I stared out the big bus window at Christmas lights and commuters, I felt like I was in another world.

I had just spent about 15 days doing nothing but thinking, living, and breathing law school, and being on a bus full of people who had not just taken an exhausting torts exam felt like a particularly overwhelming form of culture shock.

Over the course of the 4 and a half hour trip, I re-entered the real world. My thoughts slowly evolved from over-analyzing my torts exam to the realization that I had neglected to buy any Christmas presents. By the time I got to Albany, I was able to successfully carry on a conversation without mentioning law school.

The wedding was followed by last minute Christmas shopping and a string of holiday and family parties. The only time that I had to agonize over grades was in my dreams, in which I failed various exams several nights in a row.

Now that the holiday season is over, I have completed my transition back into the real world. I also may have over-shot the transition by regressing into the lazy winter break mode of my college years –I have spent more of 2013 than I would like to admit sitting on my parents’ couch watching Long Island Medium.

But I digress. Spending the holidays with family and friends has both reminded me of what is really important in life and re-energized me for another semester of hard work.

Having been through my first set of law school exams, I already know what I need to do differently next semester –things that I will share here soon – and can honestly say that I’m ready for my second semester.

A final thought: My biggest fear in deciding to go to law school was that I would regret the decision. I wanted to go, but it was impossible to be 100 percent sure it was the right choice without knowing exactly what law school would be like.

Despite the challenge of exams, I can honestly say that I don’t regret my decision for a second.