The Time of my Life

Winter break is almost over.  Students of all ages are heading back to school, and those who have had time off from their jobs now find themselves having to return to them.  The holidays have come and gone and a new year has begun.  Many memorable things have happened over these past two weeks.  In the last few days I have left before I return to Boston, I can’t help but look back on this break and everything I’ve done while also looking forward to the year ahead.

When I first arrived back in Florida at the beginning of the break I was overjoyed to see my family again.  It had been a long time since I had been able to spend time with them, and if there is one thing that has made me happier than any other it has been being in the company of my loved ones.  It really does warm the soul to be around friends and family members, sharing love and stories with one another.  It also makes one realize just how much can happen within a relatively short period of time.

I have done a lot during the time I’ve been here.  I celebrated the holidays, traveled to reconnect with friends from college, and had more fantastic meals than I can count.  I made sure to revisit things I remembered from growing up in Florida and even experienced many new things.  Above all, I gained a great deal of wonderful memories with the people I care most about.

That’s what has caused me think about how marvelous a thing time really is.  Take a year, for instance.  2012 has passed, but the changes it brought remain with us.  I became a law student last year, and I will continue to be a law student this year.  Still, I am nearly overwhelmed with excitement over what 2013 has in store for me.  A year from now I will likely have spent my first winter, spring, and summer in Boston, I will have become a 2L at BU Law, and I will definitely have many more stories to share.

Each day that lies ahead brings with it new opportunities and chances for life to change.  When you think of just how much can be done in a day’s time, it is practically inevitable that our lives will have changed significantly in the course of a year.  I believe that’s why I’ve enjoyed this break more than any other I’ve had during my education.  Not only have I been able to show how far I’ve come, but I have also been able to see the myriad of ways in which my friends and family have grown over time.

So, I’m grateful for the rest and relaxation that this winter break has provided me.  However, I think in the end I appreciate the quality time it has afforded me to spend with those I care about even more.  With that, I now feel ready to return and complete my second semester of law school successfully.  Our time is as meaningful as we choose to make it, and it is something we can never get back.  Take every moment you have to enrich your life or the lives of others in some way.  Do that and you’ll begin to see just how bright the future is for all of us.