A Day in the (Follies) Life

Well, we’re back for the second semester and I’ve got to say – it has hit me like a tidal wave. But besides the sluggish feeling of trying to get back into the swing of things, I think we’re off to a pretty good start. The blog administrators have suggested that we bloggers give you a sample of what a day in law school is like, so I’ll oblige and try to paint a picture of what my schedule is like this semester.

The first thing I need to explain, though, to create a context in which my schedule makes sense is that I am a member of BU’s Legal Follies. In Legal Follies, we write and perform a comedy show for the school, which takes place every February. If you want to see what I’m talking about, check out our Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LegalFollies. While the humor may not all be clean humor, it’s all in good humor and it’s cathartic to joke (or hear jokes) about law school because it puts everything in context a bit and gives everyone in the school a reminder that it’s ok to laugh at ourselves once in a while.

I love being in Follies, because (1) I’ve been involved in community performance art since I was a kid and I have always enjoyed it; (2) because I like my fellow Follies; (3) because it gives me a space within the law school where we’ve all agreed not to take each other so seriously all the time, which for me is a big relief because I have a goofy streak in my personality that needs an occasional outlet.  That said, our second semester schedule leading up to our performance in mid-February is, to be honest, extremely challenging. The positives about my current schedule are that I spend 3 hours a day having fun with my Follies friends and that it forces me to be efficient and organized in my study schedule. Although every day is very, very full, I’ve found in the past when I was on Smith’s crew team that sometimes a very full plate can actually help you study well because you have strong incentives not to waste time.

Let’s get the busiest day over with first:

Tuesday (the busiest day):

6:30am: Wake up and go to the gym

7:30am: shower, eat breakfast, and pack my bag for the day

9:05 – 10:30am: Legislation

10:45am – 12:00pm: Constitutional Law

12:45 – 2:00pm: Criminal Law

2:00 – 3:00pm: Themis Bar Representative table duty

5:30 – 6:20pm: Legal Research & Writing

7:00 – 10:00pm: Follies writing session/rehearsal

10:30pm: Arrive home and go to bed

My solutions to getting through Tuesdays includes (1) healthy frozen meals; (2) reading ahead on the weekends so I can get my Wednesday homework done without stress; and (3) listening to CALI or other law lectures while I do chores at home to reinforce what I’ve read.

Here’s a more typical day for comparison:

Monday (an average day):

6:30am: Wake up and go to the gym

9:15 – 10:30am: Property

10:45am – 12:00pm: Constitutional Law

12:30 – 2:00pm: errands if needed

2:00 – 7:00pm: homework

10:30pm: arrive home and go to bed

Sunday (what I’m actually doing today):

Rob is visiting – hooray!

8:00am: Breakfast with Rob at @Union Cafe

9:00 – 10:30am: work together over coffee/tea with Rob

10:30am: depart for the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum!

11:00am – 1:00pm: museum visit & lunch with Rob

1:30pm: Rob goes home to New Hampshire; I start working on homework

Afternoon: homework

10:30pm: bedtime

So – my schedule is full up but I don’t really mind. I’m a person who likes being busy and engaged, and if law school does not prompt you to be those two things, I don’t know what does.