Date Night (and Day) in Boston

If you read my previous post, you’ll know that I am c-r-a-z-y busy this semester with five classes and Legal Follies. Although it was overwhelming at first, I’ve settled into a rhythm and the ultra-full schedule has just made me ultra-efficient in my work. However, it has changed how Rob and I are able to visit this semester, to the effect that Rob has had to come visit me in Boston more than I’ve been able to go and visit him up in New Hampshire. We aren’t too worried about it, though, because (1) I’ll be working at a wills and estates firm in Vermont this summer and will be able to stay with Rob and (2) Boston is a great place to spend date night (and date day, too!).

What I like about Boston is that it feels like a mix of a big city and a small town. Boston is a city of neighborhoods, each with their own characteristics and attractions. In one town you have the towering skyscrapers of a major modern metropolis and tree-filled residential areas. Plus, the city is small enough geographically that you can actually get to almost any destination in a reasonable time. Of the big cities I’ve lived in (New York; Varanasi, India; and Boston) for any considerable length of time, I can safely say Boston is my favorite so far.

And now to my topic of choice – date night in Boston! When Rob comes to visit, there are always plenty of fun things to do. Our favorite thing to do together is try new food. Since I’ve moved to Boston, we’ve tried Venezuelan food in Brookline Village; Colombian food, shawarma, American barbeque, and Vietnamese pho¬† in Allston; Korean Barbeque, French crepes, Northern and Southern Indian food, and gluten-free pizza in Coolidge Corner; Shabu Shabu and sushi in Chinatown; and the best gluten-free Italian food I’ve ever had in the North End. IT was all delicious and it was all gluten-free, which this wheat allergy sufferer really, really appreciates.

Besides all of the gustatory delights Boston has to offer, Rob and I have really enjoyed some of Boston’s major, and minor, attractions. We recently visited the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, which was even free for me with my BU Id card. The Museum was quirky and fun, with a gorgeous atrium full of lush plants that I wanted to hide in for the rest of winter. I also really enjoyed sitting on a couch in the Museum library, reading about the story of Ms. Gardner while enjoying the song of their adorable canaries. In the past, we have also visited Faneuil Hall, the Old North Church, and the Cheers Bar. We have future visits planned to the Boston Aquarium, the MFA, the Skywalk Observatory in the Prudential Center, and perhaps even a tour on the Freedom Trail at some point when it’s a little warmer.

Finally, Rob and I sometimes choose to spend our date nights out enjoying some good, old fashioned entertainment. One of our favorite spots is the Coolidge Theater in Coolidge Corner, which is a neat old building in which shows modern movies, old movies, and occasionally live theater. Another favorite entertainment venue is the Beantown Comedy Club on the Boston Common, which is a real laugh (ha ha,) and at which I also enjoy student pricing with my BU ID.

So, while I always miss a Saturday night spent with my dogs in my lap and fire roaring in the wood stove at our home in New Hampshire, it has been really fun to spend so much time together in the city recently.