BU Law is Friendly: Admitted Students Preview Day

On Friday, the Student Government Association (SGA) hosted a social at a local bar for admitted students to unwind after a day of BU Law Preview Day programming at the law tower.

The SGA also invited current students to mingle with the prospective students. A drink with my friends who are in SGA and a little blog recon sounded like a nice way to spend a Friday afternoon, so I headed over to chat with some prospectives.

To be honest, I thought I would be one of the only current students at the bar unaffiliated with the Preview Day events. Instead, I was struck by the number of current students who showed up just to hang out with the prospective students. Some cited their own positive Preview Day experience as the reason they showed up, but others just came to be friendly and offer free advice.

Conversations were grounded in reality; no one was giving a BU Law sales pitch. As I made my way around the room, current students were giving honest advice about the law school decision process, their own experiences at BU, and the current state of the job market and the legal field.

A few weeks ago I wrote about the atmosphere at the law tower, and I think that the large turnout of current students at the Preview Day social is a great example of the friendly nature of BU Law students. The fact that current students were happy to come out and spend the afternoon meeting their potential colleagues says a lot, I think, about the “feel” of BU Law.

And the conversations weren’t just between prospective students and current students; the casual scene also encouraged a dialogue between 1Ls and upper-class students. In fact, I wound up speaking to a few 3Ls that gave me advice about moot court, the first year writing competition, and the on-campus recruiting process for summer jobs.

As a 1L, I love answering questions from prospective students, but I still have a lot to learn from the 2Ls and 3Ls. The school offers a formal student advisor program, a great resource for 1Ls, but I have learned to appreciate a general willingness to help out newer students that extends throughout the law tower.

I have met many upper-class students through students organizations, mutual friends, and networking events with interests similar to mine or involvement in interesting law-related activities that I want to know more about. More often then not, they are willing to sit down with me and share their experiences. Definitely a valuable aspect of the BU Law community!