Alumni and Internships

Here is another question from a prospective student, as relayed by the Admissions Office:

“What kinds of internships do students do? Do you have specific examples of how an alum has helped a student get an internship/job?”

First of all, students at BU Law do a wide variety of internships during their 1L summer. I personally know people who are working for public defender offices, state agencies, federal agencies, law firms, and entertainment and fashion companies.

The Career Development Office has a variety of resources to help you navigate the internship search, starting with the career conference in early November. After that initial introduction, students pursue their own opportunities, apply to individual job listings posted on the BU Law job database, or apply to collections of employers through mechanisms like the Massachusetts Law School Consortium.

Basically, the sky’s the limit (as long as you don’t need to get paid). But all of this broad information about internships doesn’t really satisfy the prospective law student who reads stats about where alumni work and is still curious about how that will benefit them on their first internship hunt.

The short answer is that BU Law will bring alumni to you, but you need to be proactive in getting to know them and using their connections out in the legal field to secure a job.

And, as a matter of fact, I do have a specific example: my own experience in finding an internship for this summer.

The story starts back in November, when I got an email from the Career Development Office about career-related events happening at the school that week. I decided to attend a talk by a BU alum who currently works in the Civil Division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office. After a great presentation about the internship program at her office, I knew it was how I wanted to spend my summer.

Here comes the important part:

I talked to her after the presentation, asked for her business card, followed up with an email, and she agreed to meet with me so I could ask her more questions about her job. I kept in touch with her throughout the application process and she also put me in touch with a BU Law professor and former Assistant U.S. Attorney who became an invaluable resource as I crafted my application and prepared for interviews.

Happy ending: I will be working in the Criminal Division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office starting in June!

So, in my experience, BU Law alumni are more than willing to answer questions and help current students look for jobs. The CDO does a great job in bringing these people to the tower, so there are lots of opportunities to use alumni as resources if you’re willing to take the extra step and reach out to them!

Jon Weitz posted on September 20, 2013 at 10:29 am

I know we personally always enjoy helping out were we can when it comes to internships.