Face to face, screen to screen

You never promised me a social network, BU.

But boy, have you delivered! I’ve been able to make my way through almost an entire semester of interaction, thanks to your Facebook presence and the connections made through it. Thanks for that.

I’ve learned who’s quiet but hilarious, seen inside jokes evolve in the space of a day, followed a half-dozen student organizations, and kept a tenuous grasp on events that matter to me. I’ve seen lost books found and study groups formed. Thankfully, I haven’t been confronted by who’s mad at whom, or seen many horrible missteps or regrettable photos. My peers are a classy crowd—and very media savvy, to boot.

My cat, Piccolo, has her share of fans on Instagram and at BU. That's probably because they don't have to deal with her disrupting their studies.

My cat, Piccolo, has her share of fans on Instagram and at BU. That’s probably because they don’t have to deal with her disrupting their studies. (Source: my Instagram)

When I was in school before, we connected on MySpace, but it certainly wasn’t a convenient way to invite all my classmates to a pub night, find a roommate, or take a study break without leaving the library. Facebook connects nearly every student in my section—that’s 70 people— to one another as well as to the 600 or so other students at BU Law. It supports our budding friendships and neophyte professional networks, too. And I don’t have to worry for the sanity of classmates whose pages scream at me in yellow Comic Sans over twinkly, pixelated backgrounds.

Instagram isn’t necessarily useful in the same way. Or maybe it is, but I don’t know how to use it for more than looking at interesting pictures. That’s enough for me. I just share photos of my Boston adventures, people in my class find them and “like” them, and I reciprocate. You can follow BU Law there for  an official perspective. I haven’t explored BU Twitter (my last tweet was more than a year ago), but the school, library, and related organizations and publications have accounts, and your peers are sure to participate, too.

Official or unofficial, the social media presence of BU Law and its students has helped this confused student find her way. I can’t wait to see what new ways we find to connect, socialize, and learn in the next few years.

The Martin Luther King Jr. Free at Last sculpture looked pretty spectacular on this September day.

The Martin Luther King Jr. Free at Last sculpture near the BU Law Tower looked pretty spectacular on this sunny September day. (Source: my Instagram)

Trevor posted on November 26, 2013 at 12:48 pm

What is Facebook?

Phil posted on November 28, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Glad to hear you’re enjoying yourself at BU Law. Crazy how Facebook just took over Myspace. Keeping in touch with people is a problem, I seem to just forget about everyone!