Getting Involved: American Constitution Society

There are many great student groups at BU Law, but one of my favorites is the American Constitution Society (ACS).  ACS is the progressive counterpart to the Federalist Society and believes “that law should be a force to improve the lives of all people.”

As a first-year student, I served as our section’s representative, and was tasked with encouraging my classmates to join ACS and attend ACS events.  It was a great opportunity to meet my section-mates and become acquainted with the event planning process at BU.  As a first-year, I planned our Spring Kick-Off event and “Challenging Citizens United v. FEC,” featuring Jeff Clements, a local lawyer who has advocated for the repeal of corporate free speech rights.  During the summer between my first and second year, I attended the National ACS convention in Washington, D.C.  The convention was a great opportunity to network with like-minded attorneys and hear from speakers such as Deval Patrick and Justice Ginsburg.

As a second-year student, I was ACS President and tasked with organizing our general meetings and attending club fairs to recruit new members.  Additionally, our ACS chapter planned events on consumer litigation, the Affordable Care Act, and the Supreme Court cases on marriage equality.  Most significantly, the BU Law chapter had the opportunity to plan the Boston-wide ACS symposium on Constitutional Fidelity which brought together ACS chapters at six local law schools for a day of educational panels and networking.  Again, this was a great opportunity to make connections with local attorneys and students.

I encourage you to make the most of your BU Law experience by joining a number of clubs (maybe even ACS) for a professional (and educational) advantage.  BU Law has a lot of them, ranging from affinity groups to softball leagues, and all offer their own unique law school experiences.  Moreover, these groups will help you well outside the halls of BU law as the group’s alumni are widespread.

For a full list of student organizations, click here.