Practice Makes Perfect

In law school you learn many things. Legal concepts, terminology, and theories along with a plethora of cases that have established important precedents are all common topics of discussion in your first year. It also teaches you how to write persuasively and present oral arguments. Yet, as someone who wants to do transactional work, I was still looking to gain the skills I needed to do the kind of work I want to do. That’s why this semester is so exciting.

Someone once told me that law school is often considered litigation school. We are taught how to write briefs and argue in court, but aren’t necessarily taught how to negotiate with parties or to translate a client’s wishes into a legally binding agreement. Fortunately, BU Law has many opportunities to gain these kinds of practical skills.

After only one week, I’ve found that my externship at Boston Children’s Hospital in the Office of General Counsel will involve a great deal of drafting, reviewing, and editing legal documents, such as research service agreements. My contract drafting class will undoubtedly be helpful as I continue to work there this semester, as it will give me a better understanding of how agreements are actually created.

Likewise, my seminar on Health Care Transactions will provide me with a deeper knowledge of the types of agreements that entities in the industry create in order to protect themselves, to grow, or to create new entities altogether. By speaking to practicing attorneys about transactions that they have actually worked on, I am confident that the class will be a valuable experience for someone who wants to one day work on the same transactions.

I have a feeling that it’s going to be a very practical semester. At the end of these next few months, I believe that I will be much more prepared to begin working as a health care attorney. Knowing that I still have one more year ahead of me is reassuring, as I am sure that by that point I will be more than ready to become a lawyer.