Loving the Law

February is the month of love. It’s a month full of people giving each other flowers, jewelry, hugs, kisses, candy, and cards. It is also a time for us to reflect on the people we love. Our family members are often the ones we love unconditionally. We do our best to love our friends and ourselves. Some of us have significant others that we love very much. ┬áThis February, instead of asking “who do I love?” try asking “what is it I love to do?”

Those who decide to go to law school find something to love about the law. Whether it’s the order that it brings or the potential it has to affect people’s lives, every law student eventually discovers what it is about the law that they love. Over time we also find out which area of the law we love the most. It’s a good thing, too, because we may decide to commit to a field of law for a very long time.

To be honest, I am in love with health law. Having taken several courses related to it and meeting many people who practice it, I am confident that health law is the field for me. What I love the most about health law is its ability to help those who improve our health care system and allow it to function accomplish their goals.

I never had a mind for science. I didn’t dream of becoming a doctor or an inventor. Yet, I love the idea that as a health care attorney I would be able to assist both scientists and physicians as they discover new cures to illnesses and work to heal the sick. Like science, the law can be a powerful tool, and I want to use it to allow those with scientific minds to continue their work while I worry about the legal side of things.

So, what is it that you love about the law? Which area of the law do you love the most? There’s no need to answer these questions right away. The great thing about law school is that it allows you to learn about many different career paths. Take your time, but don’t be afraid of commitment.