‘A mind, once expanded by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions’

Two things you’ll get a lot of in law school: Oliver Wendell Holmes (the title of this post may be cheating — it comes from the senior Holmes, rather than the opining junior, of Supreme Courts of yore) and new experiences.

This week brought one of my favorite mind-expanding undertakings to date. It’s not an experience I can guarantee that you’ll have during your law school career, but if you get the chance, you should jump on it.

My constitutional law professor invited our whole class to join her for a night at the opera. As she reminded us, BU Fine Arts performances are free to BU students all the time, but few of my classmates have made the time to visit amid so many hours of study.

The night’s show was delightful, a production of Daniel Catán’s “Florencia en el Amazonas” by the Boston University College of Fine Arts
School of Music Opera Institute and School of Theatre. While the show was enjoyable from beginning to end, the beautiful music and the supporting performance of soprano Katrina Galka were the highlights.

Perhaps I shouldn’t admit to being such a dilettante, but this was my first visit to any sort of opera. I’ve seen a few on PBS, so I knew more or less what to expect. The fact that this opera was in Spanish, which I studied in high school, helped, as did knowing that many of my peers were just as inexperienced as me. Any insecurities or uncertainties faded once we were all lost in the opera.

We came, we saw, we enjoyed ourselves. Perhaps most importantly, we did a little of that mind-expanding that we came to law school for, albeit in an unforeseen direction. Thankfully, we have the rest of our lives for cultural enrichment; at the end of the night, our minds were back to moot court.

“Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons. You will find it is to the soul what a water bath is to the body.”

― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.