The Strange Things I Miss About Home

There are many things I miss doing since I moved to Boston. Meeting my best friends for drinks, driving, and warmer weather as of March 1, but you start to realize interesting things you miss. For instance, based on my Google search, there are 0 Krispy Kreme Doughnut locations and I miss seeing the neon “HOT” sign indicating glorious, melt-in-your-mouth, hot, gooey glazed doughnuts for an incredibly reasonable price.

A few weeks ago, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts offered a free glaze doughnut and I scoured the Internet for the closest location to my home in Medford. Alas, it was not meant to be. The closest one is 2 hours away in Connecticut. You may now cue wailing and bemoaning of my trivial problem.

Yes, there are doughnuts in Boston. Dunkin’ Donuts has the word “donuts” in its name, but you are wrong. I’m sorry, you just are. I invite a riveted debate over this, but nothing compares to a beautiful doughnut coming right out of the fryer, glaze oozing over it, and melting in your mouth. Dunks does not offer such a phenomenon, or at least, based on my experiences with their doughnuts, it is absolutely not the same.

Last night, a newfound friend, who lives in Connecticut and drove to Boston for a visit, went out of his way to buy us these glorious doughnuts. The squeals of excitement and glee from the three of us were all the words we could muster for our gratitude. I concede the doughnuts were no longer hot, but I am now ingesting fond memories of homeDSC01316 DSC01317.

If you read this and simply cannot understand my excitement, I challenge you to find a Krispy Kreme, ensure the hot sign is on, and you eat one of those glazed doughnuts.