Oh, Those Summer Nights

It’s beginning to feel a lot like fall here in Boston. I enjoy the cooler weather, but I’m also going to miss the summer. This was my last summer as a law student, and it was a great one.

Some of you may know that I did my health law externship last spring at Boston Children’s Hospital. I mostly worked with Dianne McCarthy on legal issues related to research being done at the hospital. I had such a great experience that, after my externship ended, I found myself wanting to go back. Fortunately, I was notified that they were looking for someone to work on a new project for the summer.

That’s when I began working at the hospital’s Technology and Innovation Development Office, otherwise known as TIDO. They are responsible for protecting the intellectual property of the hospital and its employees. I had the chance to work with patent and contract specialists along with licensing and business managers. It is definitely an interesting and educational place to work.

I began working on a large healthcare transaction involving a license for a novel, patented drug product. It involved a good deal of research on patents and licenses for other drugs. I also looked through the FDA’s list of approved drug products, known as the Orange Book. I synthesized my research into exhibits and memoranda in order to assist with negotiations with pharmaceutical companies. The goal was to find a partner that would help to develop and market our drug product.

As negotiations move forward, I have been lucky enough to be able to stay on at TIDO this fall. I hope to continue learning about the many legal issues that the office deals with and to see the deal that we have been working on come to a close. Summer may be over, but it’s looking like a great semester and an even better year.