Life After OCI

“OCI” is “On Campus Interviews,” and there are also “Off Campus Interviews.” The Career Development Office (CDO) invites several firms to select from applications you submit online through Simplicity. You will be asked to submit your application and wait to find out if you are selected. Based on which firms pick you, you will find out which days you will need to show up for the on campus interview. The interviews are approximately twenty minutes and are back-to-back with a break for lunch. The CDO sends more detailed information as OCI nears, and your upperclassmen are always available to provide more information.

Overall, OCI is a nerve-wracking experience and not everyone receives an offer for a position through it. A large portion of my class participated in OCI even if many of them were unsure if they wanted to try the big law route, but only a smaller percentage of my class actually received offers. I recommend you try to make the process as painless as possible by understanding there is life after OCI.

By the time callbacks and offers finalized, 2L fall semester picks up speed, and I hit the ground running. Somehow between classes, journal assignments, note research, and affinity group events, I squeeze in time for job applications and interviews. There are times I am quite overwhelmed, but the two things I do to keep my sanity are (1) schedule priorities and (2) take a deep breath and focus on one thing at time.

Firstly, schedule priorities literally means to  schedule into my calendar everything and anything I need to do so I can see it clearly in my calendar and budget my time. This method helps keep me focused on the task at hand and ensure I don’t outright forget to do something. Time is important in law school and if you don’t manage it strictly, it disappears quickly. For instance, I normally schedule a time in my calendar to remind me to print my notes for one of my classes where we are not allowed laptops. I forgot to input a reminder to print my notes, and sure enough, I showed up to class without my briefs. Oh, the horror! Luckily, the professor gives us a ten-minute break during class during which I ran to print my notes. As you can see, a busy schedule means small things fall through the cracks.

Secondly, I do not let the list overwhelm me. I simply review my day, take a deep breath, and focus on one thing at a time. Sometimes we forget that we can only do our best. There are only so many hours in the day and so many things you can do before you run out of steam or need to rest. Mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausting yourself is bound to make you feel more rundown than you are and you won’t perform as well as you can. When scheduling my day, I make sure to schedule realistically and in order of priority. I am guilty of always trying to do too much at once, and if I realistically plan for one class, I accomplish as much as I can before moving onto the next task.

Finally, once you handle your schedule and already full plate, you schedule time to apply for jobs and interviews. Yes, there are job opportunities outside of OCI, and yes, you will find something. Keep an open mind because law school is a process constantly shaping and molding you.