Where everyone knows my name…

One of the most difficult things about moving away from home is friendship. It can be difficult to maintain intimacy with your friends when you do not see them regularly or even talk as often as you would if you lived in the same city. I worried about my best friends and I drifting apart, but much to my surprise and happiness, my friends and I are still just as close.

It’s been over a year since I visited Atlanta, but when I returned home this month, my friends and I talked and laughed as if they only saw me yesterday. My best friends and I may not talk everyday but we definitely keep in touch 2-3 times a week. While I may not get to see all of my friends weekly or even monthly, I can tell you great friends get together as if no time has passed and no distance between them.

The hardest part of being in school is feeling immensely homesick and missing your family and friends. They understand you are quite busy and buried under loads of reading, but do not forget to take the few minutes to say hello or even reach out to them (even if it is during the strangest hours). I often find myself texting my best friends late at night to simply tell them good night and that I miss them. Great friendships simply need the smallest kindling of the fire to continue to burn the brightest in our lives. Don’t let this law school behemoth overshadow the brightest spots in your life.

Likyon posted on December 28, 2014 at 3:49 am

mluong1, thanks for your advice. I think we should not let the “out of sight, out of mind” thing affect out friendship or relationship back home. The world is now a global village, a few seconds of hello, hello can keep the fire burning.

Imran Soudagar posted on January 27, 2015 at 6:05 am

That’s the beauty of friendship. You may not meet regularly, you may not talk or share things any more but the level of closeness will never go.