How to Survive a Blizzard

I’m from South Carolina. We… don’t really have snow, to say the least. We usually get a “big storm” once every four years or so, which involves about four inches of snow, if that, followed by at least two snow days. During my sophomore year of college, we actually got almost a foot and missed the entire first week of Spring semester classes. (The city literally ran out of salt before they could cover the roads on campus.)

I’ve been in Boston for a year and a half now, so I’m not quite the snow rookie I once was. I’ve learned that there are different types of snow, and only some of them make snowballs and snowmen. I’ve learned that snow is infinitely more fun if you (a) don’t have to shovel your own walk because you live in an apartment, and (b) don’t have a car. I’ve learned that, in some places, snow doesn’t melt for weeks at a time and instead lurks in ominous 6 foot piles on street corners. I’ve learned how to walk on the packed ice that overtakes the sidewalks within a few days of a big snow, and I’ve learned that (in an ironic twist) the slipperiest places in all of Boston are the paths where you cross over the train tracks. My point being: I’m new and all, but I know some things about snow.

My street (yes, conveniently we have a liquor store next door) after the worst of the storm.

I do not, however, know much about blizzards. So when the word started to spread about Juno, I was a little nervous. I dutifully went out on Sunday and bought enough food for a few days and made sure I knew where the flashlights and candles were in my apartment. I charged all of my electronics in case the power went out. And then, honestly, I just did homework for most of the days leading up to the storm. Blizzard or not, I’m in law school.

Image from weather.com

Image from weather.com

As it turns out, Juno ended up being pretty AWESOME for me. We never lost power, which was the one thing I was worried about. BU had not one, but TWO snow days. And, last night, when the actual wind/unpleasant part of the storm had basically stopped, my roommate and I went out and played in the snow for two hours. Having this much snow on the ground is a southerner’s dream, you guys. It was made even better by the fact that the snow plows had been periodically clearing the roads, creating literal snow mountains to climb and slide down.

This is the one time in my life I wish I had waterproof pants.

All in all, Juno was kind of a perfect blizzard experience. I plan on living in Boston for the foreseeable future (possibly forever), and I’m sure that my infatuation with snow will eventually give way to the grudging acceptance of most Bostonians when the pipes freeze and I have to shovel two feet of snow out of my yard. But for right now, I’m a big fan of blizzards.