Snowpocalypse 2015

As you gleaned from my previous posts, I am not originally from New England. This is my first blizzard. At first, I thought it might be rather crazy and scary, but my husband didn’t seem worried. He is from New England originally, and I usually gauge my should-I-freak-out meter by his reaction.

Yesterday, we both waited to see when to go home. Boston University announced closing the campus for Tuesday during Monday morning and soon thereafter announced closing classes after 5 PM that day. I’m not a fan of snow days because making up the classes later can be as much of a hassle as using the snow day to catch up on work, but not much to do when it’s a blizzard blowing into town. Everyone headed home early yesterday, and my husband and I decided to stop by Target to pick up a few items. We didn’t need food because we stocked up during the weekend when reports came in about a big storm during the week. When we showed up at Target, bread and milk were scarce commodities. In fact the entire bread shelf was empty.

No bread for you.

No bread for you.

My friend decided to pick up milk, and she found the lines wrapped round aisles. It seemed people waited to stock up. Even if you underestimate a storm’s effect on the region, it’s always smart to stock up on food and essentials a before the predicted storm’s arrival. My apartment office sent an email letting people know to make sure there is a first aid kit, blankets, flashlights, and other storm essentials, but at this point, it may be too late to be able to get anything you need. One thing I’m learning from this storm: just prepare ahead of time. No need to go overboard, but if you wait until the last minute to take the storm seriously, it may be too late. As I always say, “it’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.” Hope you’re warm and safe during this snowpocalypse 2015 also known as snowmageddon 2015.