Survival

You may recall my last post, where I could not have been more thrilled and excited to see snow. I wanted to jump in it, shovel it, throw it, play in it. All of it.

As the days have passed and the snow has continued to fall, and fall, and fall, as the MBTA shut down, was shoveled out by the National Guard, and has struggled to make a feeble recovery back to normalcy, the temperature has stayed below freezing, and the sun seems to have made a permanent retreat to the clouds, my views have changed. Survival is my only instinct.

National Guard to the rescue!

National Guard to the rescue!

As we reach the point where Boston breaks every snowfall record in history, it seems fitting to memorialize some of the ways I’ve found to beat the winter blues, just in case I find myself in snowmageddon any time in the near future.

The BU campus has assumed a mystically snowy charm, in spite of my complaining.

1. The guava jelly – Kona coffee – Israel Kamakawiwo’ole trifecta. This is not as odd a combination as you might think. Flooding your senses with the tastes, scents, and sounds of an island paradise lets you almost escape, even if just for a moment, to somewhere lovely and warm. (It also helps to hug the radiator).

2. Imagining yourself in heroic situations while shoveling snow: you’re tunneling through the tundra to rescue hikers stranded in an avalanche! Fighting abominable snowmen on the craggy peaks of Mt. Kilimanjaro! Digging for buried treasure with a crew of pirates! There’s enough snow that the possibilities are actually endless.

Hunting the elusive Boston Yeti.

Hunting the elusive Boston Yeti.

3. Berating the family members and friends from warmer places who have the nerve to complain about the terrible winters they’re having, until they feel so bad that they send care packages. Yes, please complain to me about the two inches of snow in DC. I will make you feel bad about my frozen eyelashes, and the snow banks I keep falling into, and you will send me brownies. (How do I keep doing this once winter is over?)

Another day, another shovel!

Another day, another shovel!

4. Bob Marley on the erg machine at the gym. It turns out that if you “row” at just right speed, the sound is almost that of waves crashing against a warm, beautiful beach. This is also the only possible way to sweat in Boston in February. Plus, it turns out that the erg machine is not all that challenging, given all the muscles you’ve grown shoveling snow!

5. Resisting the urge to swan dive off my porch into the deep, beautiful snow below. For now, I’ll abide by the mayor’s exhortations against it, and vicariously live through the crazed actions of others. But one can only resist temptation for so long!

Tomorrow brings the start of March, and yet another snowstorm. At this point, I’ll certainly be throwing snowballs at the St. Patty’s Day parade. I’m grizzled and grouchy, but feeling triumphant. I’ve shoveled eight feet of snow, literally trudged miles in the snow (uphill!) to school, and ice-skated down my street. I can say with confidence that I have DONE WINTER.