Stuffed.

“You’ll never go hungry.” These were some of the parting words my former boss gave me as I made the move from New York to Boston. Knowing how much I enjoy exploring new and different foods, my boss was sure I would love Boston. Unfortunately, 1L year leaves very limited time to love anything. So when a friend from undergrad (who also loves exploring different places to eat) was planning on visiting Boston for a weekend, I was very excited to spend 72 hours eating non-stop and making up for lost time. You might think I’m exaggerating about the 72-hours part but since eating is one of my favorite hobbies, my friend and I have become professionals. So for admitted students or anyone visiting Boston: below are some great places to try for students on a budget.

Seoul Soulongtang is a Korean restaurant that specializes in classic beef broth soups. My friend and I ordered Kimchi Jeon, Yook Gae Jang, and Bibimbap. My friend who was visiting is Korean and said the Kimchi Jeon (Korean pancake) was one of the best she’s had in the states and really brought her back to her time in Korea so I’d definitely recommend it. I’m a big fan of spicy food so I’d also recommend the soup I ordered for anyone else that enjoys eating food with a kick. Seoul Soulongtang is 10 seconds off the Harvard Ave T stop so it’s in a great location for students who can’t afford to take too much time away from the books.

Jamón Serrano & Pan con Tomate

Jamón Serrano & Pan con Tomate

Tortilla & Jamón Serrano

Tortilla & Jamón Serrano

While my friend studied abroad in Seoul, I was spending my semester abroad in Madrid. Any of my friends will quickly tell you how much of a Spain fanatic I am (there’s four full-size Spanish flags throughout my apartment). After having been to the Korean restaurant, I decided to take my friend to Tasca, a Spanish tapas place. It was my first time at Tasca so I was really excited to get my first tapas fix in Boston. The atmosphere at Tasca was very similar to the tablao’s throughout Spain and the sangria was pretty on point to that which I had in Madrid. The tapas were portioned a little on the small side but I have yet to go to a tapas bar in the states that serves tapas true to the portions of Spain.

IMG_0336 IMG_0335Another thing that my friend and I have in common is that we both specialize in eating sweets. I haven’t found too many dessert places where I live in Allston so I would definitely recommend Finale for anyone who’s downtown and looking to satisfy their sweet tooth (and they have stellar coffee).

IMG_0333IMG_1431

I’ve now been to Penang three times in my short time in Boston. I guiltily think I should’ve taken two of those opportunities to explore something different but I think the food is that good and the place has a very cool vibe. I don’t think I’ve ever had Malaysian food anywhere else but this place definitely hits the spot. The sizzling platters are great, the mango chicken is great, the Chow Kueh Teow is great—it’s all great.

IMG_0345 IMG_0343A fellow foodie in my section mentioned last semester that El Centro is her favorite Mexican restaurant. Her family’s Mexican so I knew it was a reliable standard to follow. I took my friend to El Centro in the South End for brunch and can happily confirm the diagnosis. The chilaquiles were fantastic and the guacamole was probably the best I’ve had in Boston. The vibe also seemed very authentic and the coffee reminded me exactly of the coffee I’m used to drinking whenever I visit Latin America.

I’ve always said that I’ll try any food once and when you have a restricted law-student schedule, I believe socializing over a meal is the best way to take a break from studying. We visited a few other places during my friends’ visit to Boston but these are a few of the ones that I stand by and would definitely re-visit. My boss certainly knew what she was talking about in telling me I would never go hungry because one of the things I love about Boston is how many student-friendly places there are to explore.