That’s Amore

Over spring break I traveled to Italy. Not only was it my first time in Europe, but it was my first time travelling outside of the United States! Needless to say, it was a trip I will never forget.

I flew from Boston to Rome, where I spent most of my time over the week  I was there. Thankfully, I was staying with an Italian family, so finding my way around was fairly easy. I was able to visit some of the most amazing sights I’ve ever seen, including the Colosseum, the Pantheon, and the Vatican. Each piece of ancient architecture took my breath away. I was amazed by the amount of history and culture the city had to offer.

I also visited Florence, which was very different from Rome in a good way. The city was bright and colorful. It was smaller than Rome, but also seemed less crowded. I really enjoyed walking through the city and taking the time to look at some incredible sculptures, such as Michelangelo’s David. The drive from Rome to Florence through Tuscany and all of its gorgeous landscapes was one of the nicest parts.

Perhaps the most memorable part of my trip was the art. I went to museums and saw some of the most beautiful paintings I could imagine. Seeing works of art from the Renaissance created by artists like Raphael and Da Vinci was unbelievable. Each church we stepped inside had art on its walls and ceilings. Of course, seeing Michelangelo’s work on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel was unforgettable. Art is everywhere in Rome!

On top of all of the sights I saw, I was also able to have plenty of authentic Italian cooking. A different pasta dish every night, each one better than the last. I’ve always enjoyed Italian food, but now I love it even more.

I’d like to go back to Italy in the future to see places like Venice and Milan. I’d also like to see Paris and London. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to travel the world. Until then, I’ll always remember my time abroad.