Raising the Bar

I submitted my application for the Massachusetts Bar Exam recently and I must say that it was quite a process. Filling out the initial paperwork was relatively simple, though I found that listing every employer that I’ve had since the age of 18 along with their information was more difficult than I expected. I received two letters of recommendation from my mentors at Boston Children’s Hospital which had to include specific information, addressed correctly, and signed. I also had to go to the bank to get a money order for the filing fee. On top of money, completing my bar application took time and effort.

Now that my bar application is filed, I am focusing on finishing up my exams and preparing myself to study for the bar. I will be taking a bar preparation course from Kaplan, which starts a week or so after graduation and lasts about 2 months. Looking at the schedule for studying, it seems I’ll be spending most of the day reviewing subjects from 1L year. They say bar prep is a full-time job, and they are not kidding!

That being said, I’m looking forward to taking the bar. All this work in law school is basically preparing us to do just that. Obviously we learn things outside of the subjects on the bar and gain practical skills, but the ultimate goal is for us to be able to practice law. Once we pass the bar, we won’t just be law school alumni, we’ll be lawyers. Whatever bar you choose to become part of, being part of that community is something truly special.