May It Please The Court

If you asked me before starting law school if I wanted to litigate after I graduate, “never” might have been too soon of an answer. My only concern with choosing to go to law school and become an attorney was that I would have to speak in a courtroom and so I was very relieved when I was applying to schools to hear from practicing attorneys that not all lawyers actually spend time in court. I knew when I began law school that I wanted to be one of those–one of the ones who never sets foot in a courtroom.

Lucky for me, BU Law’s curriculum required me to at least test the litigation waters my 1L year through my legal writing seminar. Second semester of 1L year, all 1L’s were required to participate in moot court. We were all assigned a partner in our legal writing seminar and had to write a brief and argue our case before a panel of judges. Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed my moot court experience and went on to voluntarily participate in moot court this year as a 2L. Although, I’m still unsure as to whether I would prefer to do transactional work or litigation, I have learned that I would likely enjoy both.

I’ve always been told that I’m a good public speaker and I have always enjoyed public speaking when I know exactly what I am going to say. However, the uncertainty of being asked about an argument that I may have missed against my clients right to due process considered wasn’t something I was looking forward to last year. I re member thinking of oral arguments as one giant “cold call” but, in the end they were actually quite enjoyable and much less stressful than being on call for class. Moot court is also a pass/fail credit during your 1L year at BU Law so there’s comfortable room to make mistakes and have fun.

At the end of my 1L year, one of my section mates, Jaclyn, and I decided we would do moot court as 2L’s. Unlike 1L moot court, 2L moot court is completely voluntary and gives you no credit. The whole experience is a bit of a blur since it’s much more condensed than 1L year. As a 1L, I remember working for over a month on my moot court brief whereas this year, I wrote my brief and prepared for oral arguments in less than a week. Jaclyn and I had the opportunity to argue an interesting family law problem written by one of the 3L moot court directors. I spoke with the director who wrote our problem at the reception after our oral argument and I’m beginning to think about applying to be a moot court director next year and write my own problem.

As I’ve said in almost every post, law school has been nothing at all like what I expected and I have continuously been pleasantly surprised. When I look back and think about the senior at Marist College who was applying to law schools, I am amazed at how much my mindset of the legal profession has changed and how drastically my interests have altered since I began.