But what if I don’t want to be a lawyer?

After I trudged through the grueling task that is OCI, I found myself sitting without an offer but chock full of uncertainty. Both at OCI and throughout my 1L year, I had heard countless professionals gush about the satisfaction and joy they got from their firm, government, and public interest jobs. They relished in the challenges unique to being a lawyer. They wholeheartedly knew they had made the right decisions for their lives. I felt like I might never know that. At the start of my 2L year, I did know one thing—I did not want to be a lawyer.

That realization brought about panic. What kind of law student doesn’t want to be a lawyer? Had I made a huge mistake coming to law school? Was everything that I had invested a sunk cost? What was I going to do? What was I going to tell my Mom?

The first thing I had to do before I could solve any of my problems was to CALM DOWN. I liked law school. I like reading the cases and seeing how the law interacts with real peoples’ lives. I liked debating with my friends about the “right” thing to do. I did not want to leave law school. I’d put in too much work for that and I still had so much more to gain. Besides, law school doesn’t necessarily teach you how to be a lawyer; it teaches you how to think about problems from angles you wouldn’t have seen before, how to step back and analyze situations for what they are—not what they seem to be. It teaches you to push yourself one step further, to make sure you’ve really solved the problem. Suddenly, I realized, “Hey, I have useful skills!”

Through a series of coincidences and a lot of hard work, last summer I found myself interning in the tax division of PricewaterhouseCoopers’s Boston office. I worked with a number of incredible teams with a great firm to pick apart clients’ queries from both a business and legal perspective and provide actual real-world advice. I found a job that combined the business school I dearly missed and the legal knowledge I came to law school for. I had found my perfect fit. I’m a law student who’s going to end up being a tax consultant and accountant and I couldn’t be happier. I guess what I’m saying is that there’s more to law school than you might originally think and if the traditional paths don’t feel like your path, that’s ok. There’s one that is a perfect fit. You just have to find it.