Oh, the weather outside is frightful…

As a Southern California native, I am a big lover of the sun. I love waking up to the sun shining through my window. I love going outside and not needing a jacket. I also love having the option to not wear socks. Well, those days are sadly over for the next few months.

Today was one of the coldest days I have ever experienced. Yes, I have lived in Baltimore and D.C., so I have experienced a winter but I am pretty sure the temperature never went below 30 degrees Fahrenheit.  Because of this, I had a slight idea of what was in store when I came to Boston. Sadly, some of my friends are still struggling.

“ Friend 1: umm there is smoke coming out my mouth
Friend 2: You mean steam? Or are you smoking?
Friend 1: steam I guess lol”

Needless to say, it is getting colder and it is time to take out the winter gear. I am by no means an expert but these are a few things I have learned in my limited experience with the cold.

1. Space heaters are the absolute best inventions ever.

I live in a really old house in Allston. When I arrived in the summer the house was always ten degrees warmer inside than it was outside. Now that it is winter, the house is ten degrees colder on the inside. To remedy this, I talked with my roommates who suggested I buy a space heater. Although it would increase our electricity bill, we would save a lot of money on our gas bill by keeping the house temperature low. So, I bought two space heaters from Amazon (the first one kept making the electricity turn off ) , but the second one has been amazing!

1. You can never have too many fuzzy socks.

At Primark they are very cheap.

1. Buy your snow boots early.

When I first arrived in Boston it was very hot outside. I was not in any rush to purchase snow boots. After weeks of asking around and researching, I ended up ordering a pair of L.L. Bean snow boots. Last week, I received a letter saying my expected shipping date of January 14th has been pushed back to February 1st. Lucky me?

1. Get your Vitamin D.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a real problem, especially for people from warm places. I went to my doctor last year and as soon as she heard that I attended school on the east coast she told me to make sure I buy Vitamin D for the winter. I have also considered buying a Happy Lamp.

1. Moisturize.

Your hands, face, and lips will thank you.

1. Befriend people from cold places

I know there are many other important tidbits of winter information, so when in doubt I go to my friends from cold places like Michigan or New York. They advise me on all things winter related. In the meantime, I will enjoy the heat from my little space heater, listen to Christmas carols, and be grateful that there is no snow on the ground because I won’t have my snow boots until February.