The Last Semester

I’m unsure how it happened, truly, but apparently I’m about to begin the second week of my last semester of law school.

I feel… bizarre. That’s probably not the most useful word, but I don’t really know how to describe it. On the one hand, there are so many reasons I’m excited to not be a student anymore. For example, I will not miss paying exorbitant amounts to rent or buy textbooks twice a year. I will not miss weekends spent hunched over my computer while normal people watch football and spend time with their families and take day trips. I will not miss living on a shoestring budget with the knowledge that I am constantly going more and more into debt. And I will not miss the near constant guilt of feeling like there is always some homework assignment or paper I should be working on.

And yet, it’s not like I’m dying to graduate right this very minute (although I know many 3Ls who feel that way!) I don’t have a job lined up for next year yet, so that’s basically terrifying. I don’t want to enter the phase of my life where I stop seeing my friends three or four times a week. I really enjoy the flexibility of my class schedule, because it means I have several days free each week to do homework and run errands. And, perhaps more fundamentally, I came straight to law school from college, so I’ve literally been a student for twenty consecutive years now. With the exception of 9-5 summer jobs, I don’t have any experience doing anything else. It’s a little daunting to face the fact that this entire huge phase of my life – the student phase – is about to end, in all likelihood forever. Hence, this moment in my life, where I’m situated on the precipice of a huge and uncertain life change, it somewhat bizarre.

I’m not huge on New Year’s Resolutions, but I did set a “Last Semester Resolution” for myself. As hard as it’s going to be, I’m going to try to enjoy these last months of student life; I am going to consciously attempt to appreciate some of the things about being a student that I have come to take for granted over the years. That includes the camaraderie that comes with late night study sessions and rapidly fading motivation; the privilege of learning from so many exceptionally talented and dynamic professors; and the satisfaction that comes from knowing that you worked really hard and put forth your best effort on a school project or exam.

This all sounds kind of cheesy now that I’m reading it back, but I know there will come a point in the not-so-distant future where I look back on law school with some nostalgia. Although I am very ready to enter the professional world and close out this part of my life, I am also just the teensiest bit sad to see it go.