Checking off boxes

So, I’m graduating in May. (And yes, I do plan to start every blog post this semester with some variation of this sentence.)  As I mentioned in my last post, this is weird to me in many ways, not least because I feel like my life is speeding by me at a truly bizarre rate; but speeding it is. For example, I just got my bar review materials in the mail yesterday. I didn’t want these books this early precisely because they remind me of my impending graduation and huge life change, and I immediately shoved them in a locked trunk in my room so they couldn’t continue to haunt me for the next three months. But, before I could fully satisfy my avoidance problems and hide the books, they reminded me yet again of all the boxes I’ve checked off towards graduation.

Pictured: the offending, months-too-early bar review books.

• Bar Review: Check. Although this isn’t technically a graduation requirement, it might as well be since you have to work it out before you graduate so you can start studying soon after. I chose a plan, I paid for the plan, I got the traitorous books, and I am officially ready to spend a summer locked in my house studying for the bar. Check!
  • Upper Class Writing Requirement: Check. Now, this one is a biggie. There are several academic requirements that you have to fulfill at BU in order to graduate, and the writing requirement is a particularly time-consuming one. My situation is a little more complicated because I’m in a dual degree program (concurrently getting a Masters in History while I do law school). This means that I had to write a legal history paper that would satisfy both this requirement with my law school advisor and my history advisor. As you can probably imagine, two people = double feedback = lots of revisions. But, about two weeks ago, I finally finished my 45-page masterpiece (she said ironically) and got approval from both of them! I’m so, so happy to cross this off the list.
  • Professional Skills Requirement: Check. There are tons of ways to satisfy this; I did mine by becoming a director for the Stone Moot Court program last semester.
  • Professional Responsibility Requirement: Half-check. Hilariously, even though I passed the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE) last year, I never technically took a class to deal with this requirement. I’m in Professional Responsibility now and, although you probably shouldn’t technically wait until the last semester to do a major graduation requirement, I should be fine on this one.
  • Credit Requirements: Almost check. You have to get 84 passing credits in order to graduate from law school, which is no big deal, right? Well, this was also kind of challenging for me because of the dual degree program, where I share credits between the two schools. Although I have loved this program, it was way more logistically challenging to get all of my credits worked out. For example, my American Historiography course is 4 history credits but only 3 law credits; my legal history class in the law school is 3 law school credits but counts as 4 history credits. I know, very confusing! Luckily, though, everything worked out and as long as I don’t have some sort of meltdown this semester and fail all my classes, I should have 87 credits in May. Whew.
  • Language Requirement: Half-check. This one is for the History program, not law school, but it’s still something that I really needed to get done (and left until the last minute) in order to get my second degree. I’m in a French class right now which is pretty fun, and I’m pleasantly surprised at how much my high school French has been coming back to me. As long as I pass the “final” (it’s a no credit class so I use that term loosely), I will satisfy this requirement.

And, tada! I’ll graduate! I’ve always been a prolific list maker, so it’s really nice to see everything all laid out and realize that, despite the scheduling issues and occasionally poor course selections I’ve made, I am actually going to graduate in May with both a J.D. and a Masters in History.