Weekend Getaway in a Blizzard

I spent a weekend in New York City with my girlfriend. The only time I had seen the city before was in high school when I visited New York University. I am not a city girl by any means, but it was a fun trip and it was really nice to get away before the semester really starts to get crazy.

We took the train into the city and checked into the hotel on Friday. We stayed at Even Hotel, which was a nice place, but I was surprised to see how small hotel rooms in NYC actually are. Apparently that is pretty standard, though. We got some NY pizza and walked around for a bit before heading back to the hotel. Of course, law students can’t completely break away for the weekend, so I got some work done that night.

On Saturday, it snowed all day and there was a travel ban, so we decided to venture out and explore a little bit. Pretty much everything in Times Square was closed and all Broadway shows were cancelled, but it was cool to be able to walk around the streets with no cars aside from police cars and the occasional rule-breaker. We got some lunch at one of the only cafés that was open. After deciding it was too cold to walk around any longer we went back to the hotel and caught up on some sleep. We woke up later that night and decided to weather the storm again to get some food. Unfortunately, mostly everything was closed, so we walked to the Empire State Building and then got fast food to bring back to the hotel. Mind you, the hotel is a wellness hotel and each room has fitness equipment.

Sunday, we were finally able to really see some things. We got to see “The Lion King,” which had been cancelled the night before. The show was absolutely amazing and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to see a Broadway show. We also got some shopping done and visited Madame Tussauds, which was really neat.   We ate at the Hard Rock Café and got some sweets from Carlo’s Bakery before finally heading to Penn Station. The train was delayed, so we ended up getting back home around 1:30 in the morning, but it was a great experience and a fun trip overall.

IMG_6657 IMG_6681