A Tale of Cold and Food Coma

Several months ago, I finalized plans for my old college roommate who now lives in Philly to come visit me in Boston over the long weekend of Valentine’s Day/President’s Day. She is notorious for having a low cold tolerance (most of our freshman year of college involved silent, passive aggressive battles over our dorm room thermostat) and we initially joked that she would probably die during her visit due to Boston’s notoriously unpleasant winters.  Given that this time last year, Boston was under 40 inches of snow and I was regularly walking 3 miles to and from school (in the snow! barefoot! uphill both ways!) because the train wasn’t functional, it seemed a safe bet that it would be snowy or at the very least, really really cold during Ana’s visit.

Then, the weather Gods played a joke on us: a few days before the trip, it was 60 degrees in Boston. Hilarious, I thought, but good. We can actually venture outside while she’s here! The weather Gods have been thwarted! The lesson I quickly learned, however, is that the weather Gods do NOT like it when you assume things. Just before Ana arrived, I checked the forecast again and saw that we were supposed to have a horrific cold snap for almost literally the exact 50-hour period she would be visiting.

And guys, it was cold. It was viciously, dangerously, unpleasantly cold. Like, I cannot overstate this enough. I’ve been here for 2 winters, including the record-breaking four-blizzard February 2015, and I have never experienced anything close to this cold. Waiting for the train at above-ground stops was painful. Walking through downtown Boston, where the tall buildings create really intense wind tunnels, was a test of will. The hot water pipes in my bathroom froze and stayed that way for almost 2 days, and my landlord (who is wonderful, for the record) basically said “Yeah, I can’t DO anything about that because it’s literally too cold to unfreeze them.”

Pictured: the actual for real current weather according to my phone at 8 am on Valentine's Day

Pictured: the actual for real current weather according to my phone at 8 am on Valentine’s Day

The point being simply: it was COLD. But, despite the unpleasantness and Ana’s lack of appropriate winter clothing for “feels like -40 degrees,” we did do some stuff in the outside world. We saw a movie, ate a TON of really awful-for-you-but-wonderful food, and did the teensiest bit of sightseeing. We also spent most of Valentine’s Day at the Museum of Fine Arts. Although my BU student ID gets me into the MFA for free, I’ve shamefully never made the time to go before. (Art’s really not my thing.) But, due in part to the frigid death cold and in part to the fact that there was a Frida Kahlo exhibit that Ana wanted to see, we went and it was actually really fun!  I think I underestimated the amount of super freaking famous art the MFA has. Even for a self-proclaimed art idiot like myself, there were many paintings by artists who I knew at least basic things about – Pollock, Monet, Picasso, da Vinci, etc. I’m so glad I finally went, and would definitely recommend a trip to the MFA to anyone with even a passing appreciation of art or art history.

This is a borderline sickening burger from Boston Burger Company. Highly recommend the restaurant; even more highly recommend splitting a burger with a friend.

Dunkin is a staple in my life already, but when they make things heart-shaped? It's a lifestyle.

Dunkin is a staple in my life already, but when they make things heart-shaped? It’s a lifestyle.

The weekend turned out to be really relaxing, really cold, and really fun. I didn’t crack a book for three entire days, and it was glorious.