The Final Days

As the final days of my law school career approach, I wanted to write about how much has changed and how far I have come over the past three years. It has been a rollercoaster ride, to say the least, but I am so happy that I got on. I applied to one law school before 1L.

I applied really late in the game because I was originally planning on taking a year or two off before going, but with the job market being so poor, I decided to go straight through from college. My first year of law school went really well academically, but I was miserable. I had gone from the University of Miami to a school in the middle of nowhere where my entire 1L class was ninety-nine students. It felt a lot like high school, to be honest. I also ended a two-year relationship with my girlfriend whom I was living with and had a dog with. I was severely depressed, and if it were not for my dog, I do not think I would be here right now. Athough it took me a few months before I wasn’t so ashamed of my depression, I finally got the help I needed. I have been told that depression is very common among law students and lawyers.

I ended up transferring to BU, which meant giving up a scholarship to pay full tuition and take on more student loans (I am up to $180,000 now), but it also meant being healthier and happier. Transferring was the best decision I could have made for myself at the time and it has helped me not only with my mental health, but it will also help me more in my career.

My personal life also changed so much these past few years. Going to college in Miami meant that my friends were from other places. I also went to boarding school for high school, so the few friends that I kept in touch with from high school do not live around here either. I mainly had my girlfriend and my family, so when my ex and I broke up, I was left feeling lonelier than ever. Before 2L, I was contacted by a couple of people I had met through hockey a few years ago. They asked if I wanted to play on their team in a women’s league. I jumped at the offer. These girls are now two of my best friends. I am also now dating someone who has really impacted my life in a positive way.

I am so happy with my life and I am excited to see what life has in store post-graduation. Law school has been one of the most trying things I have ever done, but it has also been one of the most rewarding. I would not have been able to do it without the support of my family, friends, and professors. Thank you all so much!