Legal Writing for Civil Litigation

This semester I am taking a three-credit seminar titled Legal Writing for Civil Litigation taught by a senior associate at a large law firm. Throughout the semester we have drafted a Complaint, Discovery Requests, a Motion to Dismiss, and our final assignment is a Motion for Summary Judgment. At our first class meeting, we simulated a client interview where we learned the facts that laid the groundwork for the rest of the semester. The class centers around a contractual dispute between a Radiologist and large Radiology Practice. Throughout the class, we’ve explored issues relating to breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, civil procedure, and non-compete agreements.

As I’ve mentioned on this blog before, I never would have imagined myself as a litigator prior to coming to law school. In fact, I once debated not coming to law school because I was part of the majority of people who mistakenly believe that most lawyers do litigate. However, after 1L year, I’ve continued to be drawn towards litigation and have discovered how much I enjoy legal writing. At BU Law, we are able to choose from over 200 courses and seminars. Like this seminar, many offer great opportunities to gain practical experience within a classroom before beginning to practice.

This week is our last week of classes for the semester here at BU Law (and my last fall semester!). After our last class, our professor invited us all for drinks after class where we were able to celebrate being done and enjoy a few hours of fun before getting back to the library.