Friday Firsts, featuring: Get Out of the Library!

This Friday was the first of the semester and I hit the ground running with a full schedule of extra-curricular activities. Law school is much more than just classes and grades, and my experiences on Friday certainly reaffirmed that!

I began the day by covering Boston University School of Law’s American Journal of Law and Medicine Symposium. The topic this year was Critical Race Theory and the Health Sciences. The conference brought professors from across the country and across the disciplines to discuss how the sociology of race intersects with the fields of law and health. As an interdisciplinary major in undergrad, it was right up my alley! The research was dynamic, the messages powerful, and the presenters motivated. The law school’s report on the conference should be out soon, so be sure to check it out!

Next I worked my way to Copley and the Prudential Building to go on a Career Treks to Wayfair. The Career Development Office sponsors Career Treks, basically mini-field trips, for students to go visit local corporations and speak with attorneys who work there. A group of 10 of us, accompanied by James Kossuth, the Assistant Director for Alternative and Emerging Careers, spent time touring Wayfair’s headquarters in the heart of the city and then having a Q&A session with three of their in-house attorneys, including general counsel. The office was amazing- open concept, laid back, complete with a game room, snack room, and spectacular decor. The attorneys were friendly and eager to answer all of our questions. They really gave us a feel for what it means to work in-house at a company that isn’t solely focused on law. They stressed that they needed to be prepared for any and every type of legal question or problem to come through the office each new morning, and how teamwork across the different divisions at Wayfair helped provide solutions. I really enjoyed this opportunity and think this program is great, as you get to see different parts of Boston and talk to attorneys in their environment- which gives you a better glimpse of the real world after law school.

My last stop of the day (before shlepping back to the law tower to pick up my Admin law textbook I forgot to grab earlier) was to meet with an alumni who works for Foley Hoag, located in the Seaport District. Man, I think the only part of Boston I didn’t see on Friday was the North End! Which is a bummer, because that’s where Regina’s Pizzeria is located… I digress. I met Peter when he came to our 1L career conference and spoke about his job in international arbitration with Foley Hoag. I’m highly interested in international law careers, so I reached out to him at the end of last semester. He didn’t hesitate to invite me to the office to have coffee and pick his brain about his time at BU Law and what he does now. This trend- alums that are both happy and accommodating- is something I’ve fallen in love with at BU. Peter is one of many alums that I’ve reached out to for advice, and each one has been eager to answer my questions and help guide me. In citing the top five things I love about being at BU Law, the alumni community is definitely on that list. 

After leaving the Seaport District (and the beautiful modern buildings), I made my way to Park Street (and the lovely old buildings) and then on to the law tower before walking home. Friday was full of information, gleaned not from the books or the classroom, but from future colleagues and practitioners I’m excited to join in a few years.