Clinic and Journal and Mock Trial, Oh My

Well, it’s officially February now and that means that winter break is nothing but a memory. Is has been back to school mode for a while now, but I still have found it difficult this semester to brush out the cobwebs in my brain. As this semester picks up, though, it seems that I will have to clear them out sooner rather than later.

As it turns out, 2L is actually a pretty busy year. I definitely noticed that last semester, don’t get me wrong. This semester, though, it seems to be coming at me much more quickly. I can kind of describe it as stepping onto a treadmill that’s already going at a jogging pace. In part, this may be because this semester is markedly different than any semester I’ve had so far. That’s because I am participating in the criminal clinic, which mixes both in class learning and practical experience defending and prosecuting criminal cases in various Boston courts. This experience is turning about to be an amazing opportunity. It’s also incredibly daunting, and demands a high degree of attention and care. Add in that I am a competing member of the mock trial team and a member of the American Journal of Law and Medicine, and maybe the treadmill analogy will start to make sense. In fact, I am only taking one course this semester that follows the traditional law school Socratic method, which means that my attention is being split among various endeavors and my practical skills are being tested like never before. Needless to say, it is proving to be a lot for me to handle. (Ah! I am only human after all. Who would have thought?)

Now, at this point I want to be clear that isn’t to say that I feel like I am going to fail. In all of these endeavors have access to a wide range of fantastic support systems and mentors. I am also confident in my abilities to learn the necessary skills to be successful, like students in this position before me have been. What I will say, is that because this is such a new experience for me, it is truly testing my ability to stay organized, as well as my level of self-awareness. It’s incredibly important for me to be aware of what my limits are, when I need to ask for help or advice from my mentors, and how best to stay on top of my meetings, practices, court dates and class assignments.

Looking forward, I can only see the treadmill picking up speed. That being said, I know that I am loving every minute of my law school experience, even the struggles and difficult moments. Law school is absolutely a learning process. It’s important for me and my peers to recognize that it is okay for us to be still learning and constantly changing. After all, we are preparing for our careers, and the more exposure we get to these types of challenges now, the better attorneys that we will all be for it.