3L Courses

Like many schools, your 1L schedule at BU Law is created for you and generally consists of Contracts, Torts, Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, Property, Lawyering Skills, and Lawyering Lab. For the most part, students are free to choose from more than 200 courses and seminars after 1L. For this post, I thought I would share the courses I am currently taking so readers can see a few examples of the seminars offered at BU Law.

DiscoveryAs a future litigator, I love this class. My favorite class 1L was Civil Procedure and I have since remained interested in understanding the Rule of Civil Procedure and the way in which the United States’ courts operate. Discovery covers an in-depth analysis of discovery under the federal rules of civil procedure with an emphasis on ESI—electronically store information.

Privacy: Last semester I took a 1 credit course on Information Privacy. I found the course interesting and so this semester I enrolled in the 3 credit Privacy course. The course has been very engaging in understanding Privacy law in the United States and around the world.

Advanced Constitutional Law: Citizenship, Immigration & the Constitution: Having spent a significant amount of my time in law school learning and practicing immigration law, this is probably my favorite course this semester. The course is also taught by my 1L Civil Procedure professor so it has that “everything is coming full circle” feeling to it.

Restorative Justice: This seminar is the only law school course that is taught at the BU School of Theology. The course is quite laid back but at the same time very thought provoking as it challenges us to understand Restorative Justice principles and practices within our own personal lives. I’ve recently written about my experiences with this course here.

Judicial Writing Like my other seminars, this seminar only meets once a week. However, Judicial Writing is only 2 credits compared to the 3 credits my other seminars are. This class has allowed me to further strengthen my legal writing through majority opinion, dissenting opinion, and appellate opinion writing assignments.