A Day in the Life of a 1L

I’ve been meaning to write a post like this for a while because I always love reading interviews about how people structure their days. My daily routines and schedule have not changed dramatically since last semester, but I have definitely made some changes as I’ve learned more of what works best for me when it comes to law school. So, without further ado, here is a peek into my typical weekday as a 1L:

5:00am – wake up (people are not shy about how insane it is that I do this, but I am such a morning person – I actually spent the first month of law school fighting against that and staying up until 1 or 2am until I finally had a teary-eyed realization that sleeping earlier and waking earlier are where it’s at for me)

5:00 – 6:00am – cook breakfast and lunch for the day; eat breakfast

6:00 – 9:00am – work on readings for classes

9:00 – 10:00am – shower and get ready

10:00am – commute to BU

10:30am – 4:00pm – classes, lunch, break, more classes (this time frame varies depending on the day of the week)

4:00 – 4:30pm – commute back home

4:30 – 5:30pm – dinner (I know I am 80 years old, but eating early gives me a huge chunk of time after dinner to get solid work done; also: I meal prep on the weekends so I never have to cook dinner during the week)

5:30 – 9:30/10pm – work on readings, outlining, etc. (I love doing work in my apartment as opposed to the library, and I find that I’m much more productive at home, which I know is atypical)

10:00pm – sleep (if I’m lucky – this has been turning into 11pm for the past few weeks as the semester comes to a close)

This obviously isn’t always how my days go, but for the most part, that’s the typical structure. There are definitely some tweaks that I’ll be making come Fall (i.e. carving out more time for exercising and (hopefully) more balance when it comes to life outside of school), but this is what has worked for me so far. One book that I would recommend that helped me in this process is titled “I Know How She Does It: How Successful Women Make the Most of Their Time” by Laura Vanderkam. I’m a huge organizational/efficiency nerd, and I read this book the summer before school started and would highly recommend it.