Appreciating The City

I am not a Boston native. I am not from the Northeast. I was born in Florida, grew up in Florida, went to undergrad in Florida, and didn’t ever set foot in Boston until after I decided I was going to come to BU for law school. That being said, I don’t consider myself particularly well-versed in the life of a Bostonian. Now, at the end of my 2L year, I’m realizing that there is a lot of stuff going on in this city that I have yet to discover, and I really need to spend my last year here exploring and getting the most out of the city! To help inspire anyone who, like me, wants to start expanding their Boston knowledge, here’s a list of the things I *do* know about and really enjoy, especially now that the weather is getting nice.

Harpoon
I’ve only been to Harpoon’s brewery a couple of times, but I always have a great time when I go. It’s easy to get to on the T, and between the brewery tours and the beer hall, it’s a really fun way to have a good time with friends away from the law school world. They always have different beer selections depending on the season, so it’s definitely worth checking out a few different times! There are also events happening all the time, from holiday parties to festivals to charity events. Harpoon isn’t the only brewery in Boston, either; the Sam Adams brewery is here as well. I haven’t gotten a chance to go to that one myself, but all the more reason to get out, go exploring, and try something new!

The Commons and the Boston Public Library
This one may seem a little obvious to a lot of people, but for some reason I’m always surprised by how infrequently I spend time at these two Boston gems. The whole Copley area has a lot of awesome places to spend time, and I always seem to find something new when I go down there. Going to the Boston Commons and Public Garden can be so relaxing, and when the weather is nice, laying out on a blanket with a good book and some iced coffee can make for a great afternoon. If laying out in the sun isn’t your thing, then head over to the public library and get comfortable in an armchair. The building is gorgeous, and whether I’m there to study or just to spend some quality time with my just for fun reading list, it’s always nice to have some new surroundings for a change of pace.

Local Parks
Of course, sometimes trekking out to the Commons can seem like a chore, especially if you live in the heart of Allston/Brighton. Lucky for us, we don’t have to make the trip to Boston Commons just to enjoy some nature. I recently went exploring a little bit around my neighborhood, and I was surprised by how many little parks and playgrounds there are around me. I have a new favorite study spot at Ringer Park when the weather is nice (much to the relief of the employees at the Starbucks near my house, who I think were beginning to fear that I was moving in). Taking the time to explore the area around where you live might lead you to discover some pretty cool places, and sometimes a nice long walk is exactly the kind of head clearing activity a law student needs to come back productive, refreshed, and eager to learn.