Keeping an open mind

BU has tons of opportunities for its students to get involved. There’s clinics, journals, mock trial, moot court, externships, research positions- you name it, and we probably have it in some form or another. That being said, having all of those options available to you can sometimes be a bit overwhelming. I know for me at least, I found it hard not to decide that I already knew exactly what I would like and wouldn’t like before trying it. My advice, both to past me as well as any new or incoming law students, is to keep an open mind about the things you open yourself up to in law school.

For example; I convinced myself to take a chance on the BU mock trial intramural tournament my 1L year. At first, I really wasn’t sure if I was going to like it. I felt like moot court was more my style, since I was interested in appellate advocacy and I had some familiarity with it from my undergraduate experience. Fast forward to now, and I absolutely love mock trial. It’s one of my favorite activities at BU, and I wouldn’t have known that if I didn’t decide to take a chance and have an open mind. The same idea applies to my experience with the criminal law clinic. While I had more of an idea that I would enjoy my experience going in, I was on the fence about participating because I don’t know if criminal law will ultimately be the career path that I take. And while I still don’t know how likely it is that I ever become a practicing criminal law attorney, I am learning so much through the clinic, and loving every second of it. On the flip side, I am on a law journal as well. As it turns out, I don’t think the journal experience is quite for me. That’s not to say that there is anything wrong with my journal, but it turns out that my favorite law school activities are those that give me the opportunity to put my practical skills to the test. That being said, I wouldn’t have known that about myself if I wasn’t willing to try new things.

It can be hard at times to know how to walk that line. It’s important, I think, to make sure that you have an open mind when going through law school. You might surprise yourself! At the same time, know yourself and your limits, and try not to stretch yourself too thin. Law school is really a balancing act, and everyone is still figuring it out for themselves. But wherever you can, consider trying something new. It may turn out to be the best law school decision that you make!