Playing Tourist for the Weekend

My best friend from home came to visit for Halloweekend, and I was able to see some of my favorite parts of the city through fresh eyes as we toured around town. She came to the Annual BU Law Halloween Party on Thursday night, and we hit the ground running on Friday morning, starting with brunch at The Paramount in Beacon Hill.

Word to the wise: this is an assembly line set up and you are seated after you’ve ordered and been given your food. Sadly, this brunch didn’t meet the expectations that I had built up based on reviews I’d heard, and it was super packed on a Friday morning, which was unexpected. Either way, it was great to start the day in Beacon Hill – home of some of the most beautiful brownstones in Boston, as well as the oft-photographed Acorn Street. We wandered around taking pictures for a while (and an added bonus was seeing Halloween decorations while they were still up!).

IMG_3558 IMG_3567

After Beacon Hill, we headed to the Boston Common and then Public Garden. The Public Garden did not disappoint, and I can’t wait to head back in a few weeks when foliage is peaking. It was so tranquil to sit by the pond and listen to a musician playing in the background.

IMG_3575IMG_3581

We walked back down Newbury Street and headed to dinner at Joe’s American Bar and Grill. I had never been, but it’s right in my neighborhood and I’ve passed it more times than I can count. Part of the restaurant is indoor/outdoor and we got the perfect crisp October day for that setting. The burger and fries were phenomenal and I will definitely be heading back.

We finished off the night with a concert at the Paradise Rock Club near BU. The band Bad Suns was playing and they’ve been a favorite of ours for a while. After such a long day Friday, we decided to spend Saturday morning at the Boston Public Library (first the old half, then the new), and followed that up with a walk down the Commonwealth Avenue Mall. All in all, it was a great weekend and I loved the chance to see the city with fresh eyes – Boston is a beautiful place to call home, especially during this time of year!

IMG_3596IMG_3609IMG_3630IMG_3631