3 Favorite Classes

BU Law is a top-ranked law school. It is also one of the highest ranking law schools for best professors. Princeton Review’s most recent ranking puts us at #3. It’s truly one of the aspects of the school I am most thankful for. My professors are not only brilliant and outstanding in their field, they also sincerely love teaching. They are highly skilled teachers, and I deeply appreciate how much time and effort they put into developing our understanding of the law.

As I enter my last semester of law school, I have been reflecting on the various classes I’ve taken. It’s hard to choose my favorites, but here are my top 3:

1. Legislative Policy and Drafting Clinic

This clinic was hands-down my best experience in law school. The clinic has two components – a class and an externship with a state legislator. Professor Kealy teaches the clinic, and guides us through the intricacies of the state legislatures, andĀ teaches us how to draft bills for our externship (as every first year law student learns, bill drafting is exceedingly more complicated than you would think!) I drafted a family law bill, and I loved being able to immerse myself in a topic that is dear to my heart. I was also very proud of ending the semster with a final draft of a bill.

1. Disability Law SeminarĀ 

This class had the most dynamic discussion of any law school class I’ve taken. Professor Powell encouraged the conversation, and accompanied it with an in-depth, methodical explanation of the various aspects of disability law. I took the class because the intersectionality of foster care and disability law is very important to me. I was able to write a paper on the overuse of pscychotropic medication on foster care children; I analyzed how the Americans with Disabilitites Act applies to the psychotropic over-use.

1. Education Law Seminar

This class covered the very complex landscape of education law and policy. Professor Silbaugh is an amazing teacher. She taught in a very methodical manner, but simultaneously encouraged student discussion. Most of the students were former teachers, and had compelling experiences and thoughts to share. I found myself frequently chatting with my boyfriend about this class – there were always so many challenging, tough topics to reflect on.

It was hard to choose the top 3. Close runner-ups were Administrative Law II and Immigration Law. Also, as every other BU law student will tell you, BU offers so many more fascinating classes than we have time to take! Looking forward into my last semseter, I am most excited about Professor Wexler’s First Amendment and Professor Silbaugh’s Family Law classes! Last semster, here I come!

Jin Dearson posted on January 10, 2018 at 5:27 am

Great write-up, I’m normal visitor of one’s web site, maintain up the excellent operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.