New Year’s Resolutions as a 3L

It’s that time of the year… the time to make resolutions for how we want to live and what we want to accomplish in the next 365 days. Typically, my resolutions include things like “try more new foods,” “run one mile a day,” and “don’t procrastinate.” But as I’m approaching my last semester of school ever and getting ready to go take on the big, bad world, I’m trying to make more targeted, appreciative resolutions!

Resolutions for 2018 – 3L Edition

1. Find the joy in my classes: As difficult, taxing, and downright frustrating as law school can get, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t like school. I actually love school. I think if it was feasible, I would go to graduate school for the rest of my life. The realization that school, which has been an all-consuming part of my life for 20 years straight, is coming to an end for me is sinking in. While on a daily basis, I want to tear my hair out over choice of law between EU member states and third countries, over water policy, or case presentations, or whatever else is plaguing my overloaded brain, on the whole, I love what I learn. So one of my resolutions for this last semester is to really try to be present in my classes and to acknowledge how lucky I am to be learning such amazing things, from such amazing people, in such an amazing place.
  2. Trust my work ethic: One of the hardest things about studying law, I think, is that you could probably study for any given class until the end of time and STILL not know everything. This was something I had a hard time adjusting to as a 1L- the fact that it is physically impossible to master every single aspect of every class. And realistically, this is something I still struggle with. I’m a perfectionist and I want to know everything there is to know with 110% certainty. But the law isn’t like that. Law school really is about giving you the tools to solve any problem at any point in time by doing the proper research, taking the proper precautions, and consulting the proper sources. I know that looking ahead to bar prep this summer, I am going to have to really focus on trusting the process and trusting how hard I work. I have heard from previous bar takers that, just like in law school, you will constantly feel like you only know a fraction of the material. Since this is something that is hard for me, I am resolving to trust myself and trust my methods, and to realize that if my work ethic has gotten me this far, it is not likely to fail me now!
  3. See the future purely as opportunity: As a 3L who has not yet been hired for after the bar, I easily fall into a complete panic when I think about post-law school life. I start to freak out, worry that I’ll never find a job, tell myself I am not qualified or smart enough, etc, etc, etc. But there really is no reason for this. I am fortunate enough to be a BU Law student. BU Law has prepared me in every way possible for employment, and I am 100% confident that each and every BU Law graduate will find not just ANY job, but their dream jobs. I should be no exception to the confidence I have in my peers. It is easy to just worry about the mechanics of it all and to get so consumed by physically applying for jobs that I forget about what getting hired actually represents. Getting a job means meeting new people, going new places, trying new things, honing my craft, doing what I love, and learning something new every single day. Every bit of that excites me. My resolution for this year is to look at every job application as an opportunity to experience the best years of my life, as an opportunity to bring something positive to a company, a community, and the world, and as an opportunity to grow.

So there you have it! The New Year’s resolutions of a 3L. What are your law school resolutions? I’d love to hear! 

Happy New Year from Paris, y’all!!! Fireworks over the Arc de Triomphe!