Pregnant In Law School

BOYIt’s time to spill the beans—I’m pregnant!

As far as I’m aware, I’m the fourth woman in my 3L class to get pregnant during law school, and two were already supermoms at the start of 1L. Since announcing my pregnancy, I’ve been surprised by the surge of questions I’ve received: How did I decide when to get pregnant? How does one balance parenting with law school? How did I approach conversations with my employer?

I’m more than happy to share my thoughts, with the obvious caveat that pregnancy advice is anything but universal; considerations that were important for me may not apply to others.

Perhaps the most common question I hear is, “When is the best time to get pregnant in law school?

My husband and I knew long before I entered BU that we wanted to grow our family; for us, it was just a matter of when. Two of my classmates had their babies toward the end of 2L summer, shortly after their internships concluded. They then arranged for light fall schedules that allowed for maximum flexibility. Both will graduate on time. When my husband was in law school, most of his friends who got pregnant “planned” it so that they would have their babies in early spring of their 3L year. (I say “planned” because timing is anything but a science!) Personally, I did not want my first few months as a first-time mom to coincide with bar prep, so I aimed for a post-bar due date.

How do you balance parenting with law school?

I unfortunately can’t give advice in this area because I will not become a parent until after I graduate. Rest assured, however, it can be done! There were several young moms (and a few dads) in my 1L section who were terrific students by day and superparents by night. Whenever I asked them how they managed, the answer was always the same: You simply learn time management because there is no other option.

My advice is to keep an open dialogue with your school administration. BU’s outstanding Student Affairs team understands that life happens and are extremely accommodating when major life events inevitably upend the rhythm of school.

How did you approach your pregnancy with your employer?

This was fairly easy, actually. I broached the subject as I was reaching my second trimester, which is around the same time we went public with our joyous announcement. I was simply honest about my situation and requested a delayed start date, then reiterated how much I look forward to working there. My fabulous firm was incredibly supportive, as I knew they would be. I was told to take as much time as I need and that they would work with me to ensure a smooth transition. They even offered me tips on childcare arrangements! Just like with your school, I would encourage you to keep an open line of communication with your employer. Be mindful of your own needs, and don’t forget that you are your own best advocate.